• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB new reserve in the New Forest. (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I’ve started this thread in this section as I’m not sure what county the New Forest is in, in South West England.
What do other members on this forum think about the RSPB getting a new reserve in the New Forest called Franchises Lodge. I don’t know much about the New Forest, although i do know my Local Groups Annual 6 day birdwatching holiday which I’m going on to Dorset is visiting the New Forest. I do know that the new reserve is close to 1000 acres in size. So it will be interesting to see what happens with this reserve in the next few years.
Ian.

The New Forest is in Hampshire mainly, Dorset and Wiltshire
Franchises Lodge is near Nomansland right on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border.
Hope that helps
H
:t:

Since the RSPB have used the G-word I'll just comment that the area used to be a popular watchpoint for them but all my recent visits have resulted in dips.

As far as seeing Hawfinches and other smaller birds are concerned, there are better places within the New Forest.

I've no idea what the RSPB think they are doing with this one.

John

So is this a reserve, within a national park? And if so, is that unusual?
Sounds like it will be a very well protected area of woodland!

If you live close enough to go regularly, then just take your pick of walks. Some will be good, others not so. I would say all but one of the specialities are fairly easy to stumble across if you put the hours in.
in fact, the "popular" sites are the ones likely to suffer from most disturbance (and even tape luring for LS Woodpecker at Bolderwood last time I was in that area), making them not so good over time.

I flagged up this development in the thread below.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3695206#post3695206

I live in this area (Christchurch). What are the "must go" sites?

I read the thread, and the BBC article, and am presuming there's a financial sweetener for RSPB to go here, inside the National Park.
As far as must go sites, when I come back (born in Romsey, lived in Totton, Ower and Hythe) I visit Test Valley, Beaulieu Road Station to Lyndhurst, around Colbury, Blashford Lakes, most coastal marshes etc and all would get me before the RSPB area.
This is my choice, and many would disagree, and wonder why, but I am not a lister nor a twitcher so a lot is for the scenery as well as the birds.
Best
H

We do a lot of walking the in the Forest, mostly in the winter. No-where in particular but we are interested in all wildlife, not just birds. We too sometimes go the Blashford Lakes and the Keyhaven/Pennington Marshes. We also go to Standpit Marsh. Hengistbury Head is good too and, if you take the right route, you can squeeze in a lot of different habitats over a fairly short distance...from lowland pasture to heathland to ancient semi-natural woodland to mud flats and reed beds.

Since the RSPB have used the G-word I'll just comment that the area used to be a popular watchpoint for them but all my recent visits have resulted in dips.

As far as seeing Hawfinches and other smaller birds are concerned, there are better places within the New Forest.

I've no idea what the RSPB think they are doing with this one.

John

Pardon my curiosity, but I can't figure out the what the "G-word" would be. It's something you would watch for, but I have no idea what presuming it's a bird then - honestly I can't figure any resident species in the UK that would be of such interest that someone would phrase it like this. Yes, UK has the wealth of super attractive migrants, but resident birds?

Pardon my curiosity, but I can't figure out the what the "G-word" would be. It's something you would watch for, but I have no idea what presuming it's a bird then - honestly I can't figure any resident species in the UK that would be of such interest that someone would phrase it like this. Yes, UK has the wealth of super attractive migrants, but resident birds?

UK peculiarity due to raptor persecution.

Goshawk - whisper it quietly lest ye be accused of revealing sites.... ;)

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back