• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Vane Farm parking. (1 Viewer)

Gander

I am saddened to see that RSPB Vane Farm are bringing in a £3 parking charge. Over the years (30+), I have been there many times with the family. As we (5 of us) did this summer, we use the centre to access the Loch Leven Heritage trail., but we also use the cafe and kiosk facilities and the shop, where we have spent a fair bit of money in the past. On occasion, when in the area, myself and the wife have dropped in there, just to use the cafe. On a few occasions, I have paid to enter the hides

I will no longer be dropping in at Vane Farm. This is not the time to be putting the squeeze on peoples finances. I believe this charge is ill advised, and will put yet another barrier between the public and our wildlife. I have in the past recommended the centre to others. That will no longer be the case, unless quantified with a warning on the parking charges.

I realise that RSPB centres have to make money, but surely it is better to get people in to the centre where they will spend money, rather than put people off with high parking charges? I wonder if Vane Farms current renovations are the driver behind these charges.

As I said, sad to be parting, but good-bye Vane Farm.

Mmmm.... I presume parking is still free for members, as it always has been in England?

Presumably this is a way to recoup some of the lost income of the past two years. Still a shame though.

Ah. Just checked their site. This is the notice they have published

RSPB: ** The visitor centre is currently closed due to building works. The car park is partially open and toilets available. Please see the Opening Times section for more information on what facilities are available and accessibility.** RSPB Scotland Loch Leven nature reserve is a special place that supports a whole host of wonderful wildlife and is enjoyed by many of us all year round. To help us continue our vital work here we are making changes to our pricing and we will be replacing our admission charges with car parking charge. Once re-opened there will be a £3 parking charge for the day for non-RSPB members, with a £5 overnight charge. This includes access to trails, hides and all facilities. Parking is free for RSPB members and blue badge holders. As guidelines change, we ask that all visitors follow the latest Scottish Government restrictions and advice. See below for reserve details and our dedicated Covid-19 updates page for the latest safety information (link below). Thank you for your continued support and patience. Stay safe everyone.

Charging non-members for parking has certainly been a policy at most of the larger RSPB reserves for some years now - In Scotland as well as England (thinking RSPB Mersehead for example) - and Vane Farm certainly falls into that category of larger reserves with a visitor centre and trail / hide network.
I'm personally happy to maintain my RSPB membership, and some years pre-pandemic have probably gone a long way towards offsetting the costs of membership through reserve visits, although there is only one reserve with such an arrangement in my area.

They are just introducing a parking fee for those that have historically used the free car park, toilets and then gone elsewhere rather than the reserve or cafe/shop. Same as with some Wildlife Trusts nowadays. It's a shame you will no longer visit but that is obviously your choice. Seems fair to me to help pay for the upkeep of the car park and toilets whereas previously the many ramblers and walkers would have had free use of the facilities after their jaunt.....a carload of say four visitors for £3 for the day is hardly extortionate.

though ive never been, £3 for parking is not a lot, especially like said above that includes other people in the car, very cheap. the rspb needs money for managment etc so a fair price

As a birding RSPB member I am perfectly happy with a charge for non-members, which both encourages membership in the potential regular birding user of RSPB facilities and plays its part in ensuring there is a space for my car when I visit instead of some tight-wad free-loading hiker or noisy dog-walking, picnicking family nicking it.

John

It's basically £3 for the whole family to use all the facilities for the whole day. Not exactly grand larceny.
The pricing scheme is not very clear on the website, but I think the £3 parking fee only covers one person for entry to the facilities, as they are still quoting a family price.

though ive never been, £3 for parking is not a lot, especially like said above that includes other people in the car, very cheap. the rspb needs money for managment etc so a fair price
i have been!! just looking through my notebooks ive found loch leven 10th november 1991 american wigeon

anyway the rspb website states its £3 per car for non members and members as said above display the card in the windscreen

Why shouldn't non members of the RSPB members not pay an admission charge or car park fee. Car parking for non members at lots of National Trust open spaces cost a lot more for non-member than at some RSPB reserve car parks. If anyone want’s to park for free at some RSPB car parks! Simple! Become an RSPB member!

i dont mind paying either way, i only joined last month at blacktoft paid £80 for the year for the RSPB, im lucky i can afford it many cannot i understand.
i re-started birding in march after a 10 year gap

after realising id paid

£24 for 4 visits to bempton
£6 for blacktoft

thats just £30 in over a month cheaper to join

and the work they do is increible..........when i first went to st aidens in 1988 it was an opencast mine with one lake and a hide, and now years later i can visit park up enjoy a coffee

the birds i can see or hear on a weekly visit i had to go to norfolk to see, but now my weekly visits are crammed with cettis warbler bearded tit bittern booming spoonbills little egrets

to turn a opencast mine into a wildlife haven is something to shout about Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 17.51.30.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back