• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSS Feed (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

Not sure of your intentions but here's the new migration effects on the RSS Reader.

I'm using Freedbro on a Desk Top computer.

Before migration:

Once a new thread/post was loaded in the RSS Reader it was dead, meaning it didn't get loaded the next time you opened the Reader even if a new comment/post was added to the thread.

Posts loaded in the Reader would show it's full content; the entire message/body of the post as well as images/photos and attachments.

After migration:

Now....the OP of a thread is load into the RSS Reader every time a comment is made to the thread.

Now....posts loaded into the Reader are abbreviated; they're shortened with a “Read more” link.

Now....images/photos and attachments are selectively omitted. As far as I can tell, images/attachment are not seen/loaded into the Reader when the author uses the “Attach files” option at the bottom left corner of the message/composition window. However, images/attachments are seen if placed within the body of the message/composition window when using the “Insert image” icon (Cntl + P) of the toolbar.

The new migration appears in the Reader whether you're using the Old or New Feed URL:

Old - http://www.birdforum.net/external.php?type=RSS2
New - https://www.birdforum.net/forums/-/index.rss

Observation:

The new migration will generate more clicks for BF; to read the full post and to view the photos/attachments, even of no interest, as well as the fetch when a comment is added to a thread.

For me, and maybe others, this is time consuming; having to go to BF multiple times a day when prior to migration I would go days, weeks, months without logging in.

In addition, most of my BF time, within the Reader, is now spent cleaning the Reader of recurring OPs to threads of no interest. Prior to migration, if I wanted to follow a thread I would Tag the OP or move the OP to a folder.

Conclusion:

It would be nice to have all images/attachments made available for the RSS fetch; not just those selected via the toolbar/Cntl+P.

It would be helpful if the RSS fetch was limited to the Original Post of a thread only; no need to have a continuous fetch of the OP every time a comment is posted to a thread.

It would be convenient to eliminate the “Read more” feature; include the whole content vs a condensed OP.

Thanks for your hard work, appreciate ya.

/r

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
Not sure of your intentions but here's the new migration effects on the RSS Reader.

I'm using Freedbro on a Desk Top computer.

Before migration:

Once a new thread/post was loaded in the RSS Reader it was dead, meaning it didn't get loaded the next time you opened the Reader even if a new comment/post was added to the thread.

Posts loaded in the Reader would show it's full content; the entire message/body of the post as well as images/photos and attachments.

After migration:

Now....the OP of a thread is load into the RSS Reader every time a comment is made to the thread.

Now....posts loaded into the Reader are abbreviated; they're shortened with a “Read more” link.

Now....images/photos and attachments are selectively omitted. As far as I can tell, images/attachment are not seen/loaded into the Reader when the author uses the “Attach files” option at the bottom left corner of the message/composition window. However, images/attachments are seen if placed within the body of the message/composition window when using the “Insert image” icon (Cntl + P) of the toolbar.

The new migration appears in the Reader whether you're using the Old or New Feed URL:

Old - http://www.birdforum.net/external.php?type=RSS2
New - https://www.birdforum.net/forums/-/index.rss

Observation:

The new migration will generate more clicks for BF; to read the full post and to view the photos/attachments, even of no interest, as well as the fetch when a comment is added to a thread.

For me, and maybe others, this is time consuming; having to go to BF multiple times a day when prior to migration I would go days, weeks, months without logging in.

In addition, most of my BF time, within the Reader, is now spent cleaning the Reader of recurring OPs to threads of no interest. Prior to migration, if I wanted to follow a thread I would Tag the OP or move the OP to a folder.

Conclusion:

It would be nice to have all images/attachments made available for the RSS fetch; not just those selected via the toolbar/Cntl+P.

It would be helpful if the RSS fetch was limited to the Original Post of a thread only; no need to have a continuous fetch of the OP every time a comment is posted to a thread.

It would be convenient to eliminate the “Read more” feature; include the whole content vs a condensed OP.

Thanks for your hard work, appreciate ya.

/r
Thanks for your post, I will point your post out to ollie in case it gets by him.

Users who are viewing this thread