• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rule supplier (1 Viewer)

Andrew Gibson

Been asked by one of the ringers here at Spurn Point if any one can advise me of a supplier of very thin steel rules with 1mm graduations on, which may be used for the measuring of passerine tail feathers

Been asked by one of the ringers here at Spurn Point if any one can advise me of a supplier of very thin steel rules with 1mm graduations on, which may be used for the measuring of passerine tail feathers

Make the rounds of old-fashioned hardware stores. The larger ones can have the most unlikely things in stock.

I have used the one you can find on page 6 in this catalog; not extremely thin, but it works.

Niels

One of the Observatories used to sell very nice plastic/soft perspex rules for this purpose. I used a mates and was very impresed, but never ended up at the obs to buy my own.|:(|

Kelvin Jones

Hi Kelvin,

I have used one of those Observatory rulers - my trainer has one (from Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory I think) and would love to hear if they can still be purchased online. I can't see them in the SBBO shop on their website. They are so much better than the steel carpenter's rulers.

There is a second-best option if you can't get these, which I have tried out.
I have printed off rulers from a website onto clear plastic (overhead transparency sheets) and they are not bad at all. The ones I used were on a website at

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/

Regards,

Mícheál

Ebay. I recently bought a 60mm metal rule for Eiders and other large birds on Ebay for about a fiver. Then added an angled bit of metal bought in a hardware store for 50p as a stop, hey presto a proper wing rule at a fraction of normal cost. But Ebay had several other lengths of rule too. Hope this helps.

Kerry

Ebay. I recently bought a 60mm metal rule for Eiders and other large birds on Ebay for about a fiver. Then added an angled bit of metal bought in a hardware store for 50p as a stop, hey presto a proper wing rule at a fraction of normal cost. But Ebay had several other lengths of rule too. Hope this helps.

Kerry

Very handy and cheap too. However the opening poster was looking for a ruler to measure tail feathers on passerines, where a semi-flexible and transparent ruler, without a stop, graduated across its width in mm from the end is ideal.

Mícheál

also had home made rules from sandwich bay BO. the warden at the time does a lot of ringing up here. used for measuring 3rd primary feathers they were marked out on graph paper cut to shape then laminated. found them pretty effective

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back