• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rumors of new Sony 500/4 or 600/4 or 200-600 zoom (1 Viewer)

Definitely nice to see the long native lens selection grow. For me, the crossover point to going to E-mount and retiring my DSLR was when the FE70-300mm came out - as I could at least get reasonable reach without adapters - though I still used my Tamron 150-600mm lens with adapter for when I really needed reach. Then the 100-400mm came out with the TCs, and when paired with the 1.4x, I just didn't have need to use the adapted Tamron anymore...so I'm fully covered now. But a longer native reach, especially if it's good optically AND light, would make a 200-600mm very tempting - and some high-end 500mm and 600mm options would be nice to have available, though I suspect both will be pushing over or close to the $10K mark initially.
I'd be most likely to add the 200-600mm if it came out - especially if they kept it compatible with the existing TCs...then I could get an optical 840mm on crop sensor for 1260mm equivalent.

I'd be most likely to add the 200-600mm if it came out - especially if they kept it compatible with the existing TCs...then I could get an optical 840mm on crop sensor for 1260mm equivalent

At which cost and weight?

Niels

If they could do a 200-600 f/5.6 or even f/6.3 around 2 kg, that would be fantastic. If they could make it weight more like the Nikon 500/5.6 (1.5 kg), what would be sony magical. I assume whatever they do will be priced like other Sony lenses: not cheap.

A lens like this would really make jumping ship to Sony a lot more attractive, though I still don't really like their ergonomics or menus.

If they could do a 200-600 f/5.6 or even f/6.3 around 2 kg, that would be fantastic. If they could make it weight more like the Nikon 500/5.6 (1.5 kg), what would be sony magical. I assume whatever they do will be priced like other Sony lenses: not cheap.

A lens like this would really make jumping ship to Sony a lot more attractive, though I still don't really like their ergonomics or menus.
There are plenty of whatever-to-600mm f6.3 lenses around. I really don't think the world needs another one. If Sony did a 200-600 f4-f5.6 that came in under 2kg and topped the charts for IQ, IS, and AF performance then that would really make me sit up and take notice.

My money is waiting for a Nikon D500S and PF 600 f5.6 ..... :cat:

It seems Canon has declined to offer to tempt me over by killing off the 7D (there's a slim chance that a 90D could entice provided that the DR and AF equalled or bettered the Niki D500 .... then of course they'd also need a decent sub 2kg 200-600 f5.6 to go with it :)

Sony could likewise tempt me with a decent body and suitable lens as I mentioned ..... a high MP with killer 8M dot EVF a9II would be worth it given the way that their AF is taking it right to Nikon !

Ultimately I just want something better and lighter than what I've got ! I'm sure I'm not the only one ! I don't think that's too much to ask !?! :cat:

Chosun :gh:

P.S. Marc - I couldn't open your link in the OP ..... it came up with a warning.

I agree - 2,000 kg would be a great target for a 200-600mm lens - keeping it at 200mm instead of trying for wider should save weight and bulk and optical complexity...stabilized and maybe F4 - 5.6 or even F5.6 constant would be acceptable for me.
Price I honestly don't worry too much about - Sony will usually be a bit more expensive than Canon & Nikon for the same type of lens, as they don't have the economies of scale that those two do from all the existing DSLR users. I didn't buy into Sony as a budget choice, but because they just fit me well and covered my needs. But I'd think if it's a G lens in the F4 range, it would be reasonable in the $2K range, and if it's F5.6 and/or standard level lens, it would have to be $1,500 or less. If it's a very high-end, sealed, fast, dual-focus-motor GM lens, then I'd expect it would be $3,500 - 4K.

No problems for me on menus or ergonomics as I've long been comfortable with the small A6xxx bodies as well as the larger full-frame bodies, and due to the extensive customization of menus and controls, I rarely see the menus after the first week with the camera, unless I need to deep-dive for some rare little-used function...everything I need when shooting ends up in my Fn or My Menu tabs, or custom mapped to buttons on the body.

Leaked images of the rumored Sony 200-600 G OSS f/5.6-6.3 FE lens.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3...-the-new-sony-200-600g-oss-f-5-6-6-3-fe-lens/
1. How does a prototype (junk or not) come on to the open market!? ......
2. I'm super disappointed they've made it so slow. I've zero interest in more of the same. It doesn't even look super compact as is, so it's pretty much going to match the Siggy C/Tammy hatch for size/weight, and if Sony runs true to form they'll charge more for it anyway.

I can only hope this prototype got junked because they've gone with a 200-600mm f4-f5.6. I'd also be happy if they made it GM level (FL lenses) too, but with advanced carbon fibre reinforced engineering plastic composites to bring the weight under 2kg - that would be worth it ! :)

What's needed is imagination - not copycatting !! :cat:

Last edited:
I agree that Sony would more likely push the envelope and charge a premium. From discussions I've had with Sony, I know they position themselves as a premium brand not a copycat. Either they would make a super light f/6.3 or a light f/5.6. I don't seem them making a smaller zoom range at same f-stop.

From the picture, I'd say it's more in line with a 200-600 f/4 (constant) than anything else.

Marc

I agree that Sony would more likely push the envelope and charge a premium. From discussions I've had with Sony, I know they position themselves as a premium brand not a copycat. Either they would make a super light f/6.3 or a light f/5.6. I don't seem them making a smaller zoom range at same f-stop.

From the picture, I'd say it's more in line with a 200-600 f/4 (constant) than anything else.

Marc

The only way that Sony really pushes the envelope is by charging a premium price for essentially the same bog standard kit :eek!:

f4 constant is absolutely out of the question - that would be a different beast entirely ~ 3kg/$10K+ :eek!::eek!:

That lens looks to be nearly 3 times as long as the maximum diameter. The maximum diameter looks to be about twice the mount diameter - so f6.3 at the long end - f5.6 at best I would say (that photograph is quite distorted so it's difficult to scale). As such it would be a bit longer than the Tammy G2 which is 106mm Dia × 258mm Long (collapsed). Disappointingly, if the form factor holds true to the prototype, it will be f6.3 at the long end (as indicated by the printing on the prototype, possibly f5.6 at best). About the only possible innovation might be internal focusing since this lens looks long. I think that also rules it out coming in under 2kg unfortunately ....... :-C

Essentially then, this is a copycat type lens ..... really all it looks to be achieving is doing away with the adapter (possible IF notwithstanding)

I think the Nikon PF 500 f5.6 shows there is an appetite for faster, better, lighter. A Sony 200-600 f4-f5.6 GM that was under 2kg would offer something different and importantly better :king: , and be worth paying for !

For me, they would also need a compact lightweight a7000 (but with a whopping great grip crammed full of batteries) to match.

Apparently we'll soon see what the actual lens offering is ....... :cat:

It would make the most sense for the 2nd announcement to be the 600 f4 GM. I'm pretty sure they'll pull out all stops to take the lightweight crown too - so just under ~3kg :) :t:

Last edited:
200-600 f5.6-f6.3 G - internal zoom, 318mm long, 2.1kg ~$2K
600 f4 GM - 449mm long, 3043grams (6.71kg) ~$13K

The big 600 is the new lightweight champion ...... by a whole 7 grams over Canon ! The door is open now Nikon - swan on in ......

https://m.dpreview.com/news/4842214...0mm-f5-6-6-3-g-oss-and-600mm-f4-gm-oss-lenses
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/414...new-sony-gm-600mm-f4-and-g-200-600mm-f5-6-6-3

Have you got that KG conversion right on the 600mm ?

Thanks Mike - don't know how that happened ! Edited and fixed now :t: 3.043kg = 6.71lbs

...... room for Nikon to now come in at under 3kg :)

200-600 f5.6-f6.3 G - internal zoom, 318mm long, 2.1kg ~$2K
600 f4 GM - 449mm long, 3043grams (6.71lbs) ~$13K

The big 600 is the new lightweight champion ...... by a whole 7 grams over Canon ! The door is open now Nikon - swan on in ......

https://m.dpreview.com/news/4842214...0mm-f5-6-6-3-g-oss-and-600mm-f4-gm-oss-lenses
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/414...new-sony-gm-600mm-f4-and-g-200-600mm-f5-6-6-3

I think this new 200-600 must be purely for the Sony faithful. It's a bit neither here nor there. Would anyone really be enticed away from a Tammy G2, or a Niki 200-500 f5.6, on quality DSLR's to go over to Sony .... especially at +50% for something that is essentially the same and can't possibly be any better ? The native mount without need for an adapter must be a big drawcard for Sony users.

The internal focus is interesting and not a bad development in itself, but I have a nagging feeling that I would have liked to see Sony go with a two pronged approach:

G level - if you are going to go with an f6.3 max aperture, then at least make it light <2kgs, compact (non IF), and in the ballpark cost-wise <$1400 (or given what Justin said, perhaps ~$1500)

GM level - I'm sure folks would go for a fluorite element high IQ super telephoto zoom, f5.6 max aperture, as close as possible to 2kgs, Internal Focus, and priced around ~$2.5K to $3.3K. Providing the market with something that doesn't exist elsewhere might entice a few opposition brand owners to jump ship. I'm sure it would also get those existing 100-400 owners to add another lens to their kit, or at least trade up.

I don't think this will be a Nikon PF competitor, more like an overpriced Sigma C /Tammy G2 competitor ...... :cat:

I think this new 200-600 must be purely for the Sony faithful. It's a bit neither here nor there. Would anyone really be enticed away from a Tammy G2, or a Niki 200-500 f5.6, on quality DSLR's to go over to Sony .... especially at +50% for something that is essentially the same and can't possibly be any better ? The native mount without need for an adapter must be a big drawcard for Sony users.

The internal focus is interesting and not a bad development in itself, but I have a nagging feeling that I would have liked to see Sony go with a two pronged approach:

G level - if you are going to go with an f6.3 max aperture, then at least make it light <2kgs, compact (non IF), and in the ballpark cost-wise <$1400 (or given what Justin said, perhaps ~$1500)

GM level - I'm sure folks would go for a fluorite element high IQ super telephoto zoom, f5.6 max aperture, as close as possible to 2kgs, Internal Focus, and priced around ~$2.5K to $3.3K. Providing the market with something that doesn't exist elsewhere might entice a few opposition brand owners to jump ship. I'm sure it would also get those existing 100-400 owners to add another lens to their kit, or at least trade up.

I don't think this will be a Nikon PF competitor, more like an overpriced Sigma C /Tammy G2 competitor ...... :cat:

I think for someone already in the Sony system, they will buy it instead of the Tammy / Sigma. I've recently tried the Sigma 150-600 C + MC-11 on the a6400 and was not impressed with the balance or the focus speed. It was front heavy (compared to the Sony 100-400) and the AF was not great. After the first day or two, I never used the 150-600 again, and stuck with the 100-400 for the rest of the week.

From what I've heard on one or two reviews, the 200-600 focusing speed is good. I think that will sell it.

I agree, and f/5.6 GM would have been much more interesting.

It is interesting that the 100-400 GM is still $2500 compared to the $1990 for the 200-600 G.

Marc

The 100-400mm is still a GM lens - not only superior optics, but superior focusing system as well, and likely better sealing. And better build with less/no plastics, compared to the 200-600mm - which is why they can still charge a premium.

For me, the 200-600mm could still be a better choice than the Tamron / Sigma 150-600mm pair for a few reasons. First, I wouldn't say that it can't be better optically - in fact, the Sony has plenty of room to improve on those two for image quality, as both are a bit weak at the 600mm end especially with distant targets. So better optical performance especially at the long end would make the Sony worth considering. Second, the focus speed and performance of a native lens - adapted lenses work OK, and fine for walkaround wildlife, but as soon as it gets into action, flying birds, etc, the adapted lenses range from mediocre and below native performance, to poor...depending on the adapter and lens. No adapted lens approaches the speed, performance, and accuracy with moving targets of a native lens. And third, that internal zoom design means that the lens has better overall balance, and maintains that balance better without protruding - and it won't have the dust-pump action that the extended zooms do. I would definitely consider replacing my adapted Tamron 150-600mm lens with this new Sony 200-600mm lens...and it's a bonus feature that the 200-600mm is compatible with the 1.4x and 2x TCs...so I can stick the 1.4x TC on it for 1,260mm equivalent reach, handheld and stabilized. The Tamron is just not very compatible with TCs, with the optical quality falling far off - the matched TCs from Sony are very good optically, and autofocus should even still be maintained at least with the 1.4x TC.
I'm currently holding off for reviews and tests, before buying the 200-600mm...but moreso I'm holding off in hopes of news of a new APS-C high-performance body - which is really more what I'm looking for to replace my excellent but well used and old A6300...If Sony release a 'mini-A9' with an APS-C sensor and the large battery, body controls, EVF, and focus system tech from the A9, I'd buy both that AND the 200-600mm lens together, and still keep the 100-400mm for maximum optical quality when needed, as well as the vastly superior close focusing ability.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back