• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Russet-tailed Thrush at Lamington NP, Australia (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Supporter
Hello!

Following the thread (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380109) on the identification of a January Russet-tailed Thrush near O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park where both species are possible, I would like to ask about another individual from the same area. See picture 1, 2

From reading much more articles on this topic and looking at quite a few photographs on the internet I assume that this is also a Russet-tailed Thrush based on the following
== Finer scallop pattern on the rump
== Broader buff-colored feather tips comprising the wing bar
== Broad buff secondary wing coverts tips (unlike anchor pattern of Bassian Thrush)
I therefore ignore the apparent absence of the white on outer tail feathers which might be concealed by the inner feathers happen to be on top.

I am also attaching again a bird as picture 3 (also identified as Russet-tailed Thrush) from the thread above which shows the anchor pattern on the secondary wing coverts, which I believe is a sign of a young bird

Please correct or comment if I am not right

I was deftly unprepared at a time and didn't know that I should have notice the call in the first place:)

Thank you

Attachments

• 1E6A1030.jpg
    1E6A1030.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 1E6A1043.JPG
    1E6A1043.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 1E6A0714.JPG
    1E6A0714.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 29

THE_FERN

Hello!

Following the thread (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380109) on the identification of a January Russet-tailed Thrush near O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park where both species are possible, I would like to ask about another individual from the same area. See picture 1, 2

From reading much more articles on this topic and looking at quite a few photographs on the internet I assume that this is also a Russet-tailed Thrush based on the following
== Finer scallop pattern on the rump
== Broader buff-colored feather tips comprising the wing bar
== Broad buff secondary wing coverts tips (unlike anchor pattern of Bassian Thrush)
I therefore ignore the apparent absence of the white on outer tail feathers which might be concealed by the inner feathers happen to be on top.

I am also attaching again a bird as picture 3 (also identified as Russet-tailed Thrush) from the thread above which shows the anchor pattern on the secondary wing coverts, which I believe is a sign of a young bird

Please correct or comment if I am not right

I was deftly unprepared at a time and didn't know that I should have notice the call in the first place:)

Thank you

Sounds plausible...

Users who are viewing this thread