• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russian Komz 8x30 question.. (1 Viewer)

Yes, my favorite watches are the hand wind chronographs from the 40's through 60's, most of which run at 18,000 bph.

The Soviet made Strela chronographs are some of my favorites and remind me a bit of the optics being discussed in this thread.

These are my Russian watches although i've aqcuired a few more since I took the pic!

The top two at the left are mechanical Chrono's, First is a Poljot (3313 movement), Second is a Sturmanskie with a 31659 movement inside :t:

Cheers, John |=)|

Attachments

• s47Ndkn.jpg
    s47Ndkn.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 35
About 40 watches all telling similar time.

Interesting.

If I was shipwrecked on an unknown island as in 'Lost' with lots of passengers, I'd grab all the watches and average the times particularly of chronographs to get a position on Earth hopefully to 50 miles in two days.

Binoculars could be useful for measuring star angles.

Regards,
B.

About 40 watches all telling similar time.

Interesting.

If I was shipwrecked on an unknown island as in 'Lost' with lots of passengers, I'd grab all the watches and average the times particularly of chronographs to get a position on Earth hopefully to 50 miles in two days.

Binoculars could be useful for measuring star angles.

Regards,
B.

I have very many more than in the pic, I used to try to wind as many as I could once a month, Some have stiff, Smooth crowns (Need new ones!), The most I managed was 70 before my index finger felt worn out!!

This is around half of what I have, The other half are non runners that I used to scavenge parts from, I loved trying to get them going when I picked watches up cheaply at the bootsales, Had to get rid of my parts cleaner due to arthritic hands, The tools were slipping from my grip and hitting the movements! :C

Anyhow, Enough about watches, I 'won' a Yashica 8x40 Porro binocular on Ebay today for £25.78 including P&P!

A friend in the gun world messaged me a week or so ago, He didn't know I like bins/telescopes etc and has an ancient second series Voigtlander Binocular for me when we next meet, Not too sure of the mag..

Cheers, John |=)|

Attachments

• InoU7e8.jpg
    InoU7e8.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 29
  • ASSlsdl.jpg
    ASSlsdl.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 27
  • UDvH8la.jpg
    UDvH8la.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 31
Hi John,
You obviously don't have enough watches if you can get them all in one photo.

My friend who passed away from Covid in Sweden in March repaired watches. He said that the prices of old watches dropped lately.

Another friend was a very good repairer. I monitored his shop with a mini monitor and there were numerous radium dials and hands.
What's more he had bottles of Swiss radium paint. I looked at his rough hands but no sign of radiation damage. He is now in his eighties.
I took all the hot items and put them in a metal saucepan to go to the local University for safe disposal.

The hottest thing I had was an astro compass with the sight full of hundreds of radium beads. Swallowing those would not be good.

I suspect a cheap digital watch is more accurate than a mechanical chronograph.
To get best time on my island I would group the watches into ones reading within one minute, then look for ones to a few seconds. A radio following watch would probably be within 2 seconds of correct time
One should keep an equation of time table in ones diary. Difference of Sun time and clock time throughout the year.
Otherwise one needs to erect a pole and follow the Sun's shadow.
Then construct an astrolabe type device for measuring angles.

I have the Yashica binocular. It is nicely made.
But not the Voigtlaender.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back