• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rye Meads, Herts (1 Viewer)

TOF Trev

Hello,
Probably a really silly question for any regulars at Rye Meads.

Is the Kingfisher hide best for trying to photograph the said birds, or are any of the other hides any better.
Apologies if this is a stupid question

Thanks

Trevor
:t:

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
As no-one has answered yet... and though I never was a regular (other sites in the Lea Valley took priority).
In my experience, you'll need to be very quick if you want to photograph them there. It might be easier now, if they hang around after the breeding season.

Robin Edwards

I was told early last week that photographers at Rye Meads were expecting their 3rd brood of Kingfishers to fledge that day - might be worth contacting the reserve for up to date infomation?

jforgham

Birding for fun
With patience and a good lens you can get some pleasing kingfisher shots at Rye Meads from the Kingfisher Hide. However, you're looking down on them so not as good as eye level shots. There are strategic feeding posts set up infront of the hide so you could, with permission, use the downstairs of the hide which is for wheelchair birders. Hope that helps,
regards,
Jono

TOF Trev

Cheers everybody.
Perhaps being an Essex boy 'zomerset', we could get together for a day out, perhaps along with the sniper and any other local spotters/photographers

Users who are viewing this thread