• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

S. Thailand cuckoo? or? help needed please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, these rather poor photos were taken on Jan 9 at about 9:30 am. The bird in question was at the top of a 60 foot tree, located in a rural but built up area on the edge of Hat Yai, S Thailand.

For what it is worth, there was a scarlet-backed flowerpecker a foot or two away. I was thinking that it might be a little bronze cuckoo except the bill seems wrong, and the side of the face seems too plain. The other bird I was thinking of was a speckled piculet, but that would be out of range and it seemed too big for that (it appeared to be about twice the size of the flowerpecker). The face pattern looks closest (to me at least) to a blue capped rock thrush, as does the bill, but that would be well out of range and i think the back is the wrong colour. So I think it is a little bronze cuckoo but remain uncertain.
Any help or suggestions as to id would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. I have lightened the 2 and 3 photos to get a better idea of where colour differences were.
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1098.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1098.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_1099.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1099.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_109a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_109a.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 21
  • fullsizeoutput_109b.jpeg