• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

S Thailand small bird id help please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I took these photos of this bird at about 7am February 13, 2021 in a rice paddy on the edge of Hat Yai. Hopefully quantity of photos can make up somewhat for their poor quality:)
The best I can do is think it is a zitting cisticola but its behaviour (it posed nicely for about 10 minutes, and still the photos do not reciprocate that courtesy) and and lack of significant streaking make me question that.
I have looked at a number of other warblers and things but this bird's combination of pinkish lower bill, white throat, seeming eye ring but no supercilium and pinkish legs seem to rule out anything else.
Hence, my hope for identification of this bird from one of the many more knowedgeable people on here:)
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1108.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1108.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 20
  • fullsizeoutput_1109.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1109.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 24
  • fullsizeoutput_1105.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1105.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_110b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_110b.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

bhutjoe

Thank you very much Fern, this would be a lifer for me then. Very much appreciated. wish I had taken better photos though:)
thanks again
steve

bhutjoe

Thank you John, both for the verification and the congrats:). It has only taken 12 months of lockdown here to finally see what I believe is a fairly common bird here.
all the best
steve

Users who are viewing this thread