• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

S Thailand waders help please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

These photos were taken on Nov 29 between 11:30 am and 1:30 pm. They were taken at an area of quite large flooded fields that are about 2 to 4 feet deep with several streams running through and bordered by dikes. They were taken just outside Hat Yai in Southern Thailand. In addition to the photos I did see one wader, which I did not get a photo of, that had pronounced white back and tail.
Photo 1 seems to me it could be a red shank but not sure which one, spotted or common, or even if it is a red shank. The legs seem red to me:) is all I am going on.
Photos 2 and 3 show the same birds, I believe the two to the left in Photo 2 are the same species, though not sure which that might be. Perhaps a wood sandpiper. I was thinking that the rightmost bird in Photos 2 and 3 might be a common greenshank.
Photo 4 I was thinking showed a wood sandpiper.
Confirmation and/or correction much appreciated
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f19.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f19.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN6232.JPG
    DSCN6232.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_f1a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f1a.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 49
  • fullsizeoutput_f1b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f1b.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
1. Black-winged Stilt;
2. 2 Wood Sandpiper on left, Greenshank on right;
3. Wood Sandpiper left, Greenshank right;
4. Wood Sandpiper.

bhutjoe

Thanks John. I am embarrassed about the stilt lol. But the Common Greenshank is a new addition to my Thai bird list.
steve

Users who are viewing this thread