• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S Thailand Whimbrel? (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

There were about 7 of these close by on several rocks just off a beach on Koh Samui. I think they are Whimbrels but just in case they are something else, like a curlew:) I thought I would ask on here for confirmation or correction.
Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_eda.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_eda.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN5806.JPG
    DSCN5806.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • fullsizeoutput_ed9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ed9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • fullsizeoutput_ee8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ee8.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN5917.JPG
    DSCN5917.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Certainly look like: you can see the whimbrel crown stripes in most of the photos and the kinked bill shape

I'd guess pretty safe to assume Eurasian Whimbrel rather than (recently split) Hudsonian Whimbrel (New World) - though how one could tell for certain without seeing the rump, I'm not sure!

Hi nutcracker, i have attached a few more photos taken showing the rear of the bird, not sure if they show what would make the difference between the two whimbrels though:)
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ef5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ef5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • fullsizeoutput_ef4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ef4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • fullsizeoutput_ef3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ef3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN5806.JPG
    DSCN5806.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
I'd guess pretty safe to assume Eurasian Whimbrel rather than (recently split) Hudsonian Whimbrel (New World) - though how one could tell for certain without seeing the rump, I'm not sure!
I agree it's pretty safe (100%). Hudsonian would be a Mega there, while Eurasian is one of the most common wader species there. I guess that would be the same as raising the issue for an ID request of a Whimbrel in Europe.

.... I guess that would be the same as raising the issue for an ID request of a Whimbrel in Europe.
Yes, indeed! It is at least in part something I'd like to know for myself, if there is any way of detecting a vagrant Hudsonian in Europe or Asia (or vagrant Eurasian in the Americas!) with a bird not in flight. If there isn't, it's going to make detecting them very difficult: I don't want to have to go and flush every whimbrel I ever see!

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Once I am back in Canada I will have to pay a bit more attention to whimbrels there. Thank you for the link Grahame, much appreciated.
thanks again
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back