• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sadly, Vortex quality control is all over the place (1 Viewer)

From the sound of your description, agree that you should try exchanging for a new pair under the warranty.

Own a vortex diamondback and had similar issues as well, paint flaking off the central hinge, my rubber lens cover broke off, rubber caps for eyepieces fell out at least 3 times and I've had to repeatedly glue them back, focus knob loose and about to fall off (difficult to adjust), minor annoying specks in the glass that distract your vision. Although I use them very regularly and the optics are still mostly fine, the exterior of the bins has not held up at all. Recently went to exchange it under the warranty, hopefully the new pair holds up.

That sounds about as bad as anything ever reported here with quality problems on the site.
That many problems leads me to wonder if you are for real, or just have
posted this for other reasons.

Jerry

I bought a pair of MIC Vortex Razor 10x42's a while back and the focuser was messed up so I returned them to the seller and then a couple weeks later I told Vortex how their QC was suffering because they were building their binoculars in China so they sent me a free MIJ Vortex Razor 10x42 which I eventually sold because I didn't care for it. I recently decide I liked the 12x50 format for long range birding and game spotting in low light but I didn't want to spend the $2500.00 for the Swarovski SV so I bought a MIC Vortex Razor 12x50 and it was a pretty nice binocular with no QA problems but then I decided to pop for the Swarovski which I did and it is AWESOME! The Swarovski SV 12x50 is one of the best binoculars I have ever seen or used. It totally blows the Vortex away even though the Vortex was a good binocular. I think the SV 12x50 is even better than the SV 10x50 which I used to have. The glass is so good on it even at that high of a magnification it is tack sharp! Amazing binocular! One of the most WOW binoculars I have ever had.

great warranty and quality for the price

The original post asked about the Vortex warranty, and a scan of the responses showed varying experiences. I was going to my optics store about a problem with my camera and brought in my Viper 10x42s to ask if something could be done about the lens coatings: there was a nick in one of the objective lenses, and the eyepiece lenses appeared slightly scuffed. They took them to send off to a Vortex US office (another benefit of buying locally), and they just came back, 3 weeks later, with all new lenses, no questions asked. The binoculars are 5 years old and they could have easily excused the wear for misuse.

These bins are definitely not as good the top-of-the-line Swarovskis etc. What convinced me to buy them were ratings on allbinos.com (in a class by itself on objectively rating binoculars), which gave them a score something like 92% of the top brands. We all have to decide whether it's worth paying 4 times as much for that difference; there's no wrong answer to that question, but I decided to go with Vortex, and have been content with that... almost all the time.

The original post asked about the Vortex warranty, and a scan of the responses showed varying experiences. I was going to my optics store about a problem with my camera and brought in my Viper 10x42s to ask if something could be done about the lens coatings: there was a nick in one of the objective lenses, and the eyepiece lenses appeared slightly scuffed. They took them to send off to a Vortex US office (another benefit of buying locally), and they just came back, 3 weeks later, with all new lenses, no questions asked. The binoculars are 5 years old and they could have easily excused the wear for misuse.

These bins are definitely not as good the top-of-the-line Swarovskis etc. What convinced me to buy them were ratings on allbinos.com (in a class by itself on objectively rating binoculars), which gave them a score something like 92% of the top brands. We all have to decide whether it's worth paying 4 times as much for that difference; there's no wrong answer to that question, but I decided to go with Vortex, and have been content with that... almost all the time.

I'm surprised that they didn't send you a new binocular. Look it over carefully,
maybe they did.;)

Bob

That sounds about as bad as anything ever reported here with quality problems on the site.

Jerry

I would attach a picture of my bins except that I have exchanged them already, I don't see any reason why else I would have posted on this specific thread for the "other reasons" you have mentioned, just wanted to share my experience with using this brand. Not trying to slam the brand but pointing out that perhaps the bins are not suited to heavy use in the field.

Jerry

Have you ever owned the Vortex model commented upon by orientaldkf?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back