• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sagres peninsula, Portugal - autumn migrants and more – 2014 (1 Viewer)

What shocking weather we are experiencing at the moment, capped by a power outage from 3.30 am during last nights severe electrical storm, here at Espiche. power still off at 9.30 am when we left for other parts.
Fortunately it wasn't too bad further East at QDL today windy and sunny but dry! Though no where near the number of waders on the Estuary that we see at this time of year and passerines of any kind were scarce.
We hope it settles in the West before we go home, it's so disappointing .

The sun came out briefly this afternoon for five pale phase boots on the hill, with several more in the misty distance, Two ravens , 50 or so chough's , three White storks , a few swallows were hawking over the steppe and 8 kestrel in the surrounding area. Many willow warblers darting in and out of the bushes, but little to excite.
Very windy on the hill today, let's hope for better real soon.

I have to agree with you Mick!

Anyway - we've had slow moving humid southwesterly systems for nearly a month now, which is extremely unusual. I'm convinced that this is the main cause for the relative paucity of raptors on the Sagres peninsula this autumn. The weather is completely backwards and the raptor movements have reflected that. Its never been like this since recording of the raptor movements began in 1992. The Booted Eagle peak should have been 2 weeks ago - it just didn't happen and instead of the groups of a 100 or two on a regular basis we've had just a few tens on the best days! Other species have been very thin too.

However, today saw the arrival to the north east of the area of the first large group (c.220 inds) of Griffon Vultures - right on time - hopefully this will bring more birds and more large groups of Griffons - I expect they will appear over Cabranosa tomorrow and for the next couple of weeks. Also seen were Bonelli's, Booted and Short-toed Eagles in small numbers, Hobby, an Osprey and a few migrating Common Buzzards and Sparrowhawks. Rüppell's Vulture should appear soon and hopes are high for a nice 2nd half of October.

The bird festival finished just over a week ago and I have been quiet I know - it was a far cry from last year but some 137 species were seen on the weekend (with extra effort!) and some nice species such as Pallid Harrier, Richard's Pipits, Ortolan Buntings and Ring Ouzels....another important statistic is that at least 950 people attended.

Seabirds have been fun early mornings from Cabo de São Vicente, with the "3" skuas, Sooty, Great, Balearic and Cory's most days recently.

Catching up on recorded species this autumn (since 15th August) here are a few new ones:

155. Richard's Pipit - 2 birds near Vale Santo could well be wintering (as usual).
156. Meadow Pipit - the first ones of the "winter" trickling through the last days.
157. Common Chiffchaff - ditto
158. Stock Dove - one bird last week and more likely very soon.
159. Lapwing - first one last week.
160. Firecrest - first one last week.
161. Blackcap

If anyone can add anything please feel free!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the griffon vulture migration Simon, we live in hope for better at Martin Hill today.
It was certainly great to see more passerines about yesterday, with good numbers of pied and spot flies, meadow pipits and yellow wags to be seen. And finally T and I nailed our bogey spectacled warbler.
Your reports always appreciated.
Mick

Forgot to mention that there were an additional c.300 Griffons seen close to the peninsula - further than the ones I mentioned yesterday. So, at least 500 are lurking in those hills ready to come to Sagres! Probably a lot more on their way too. Today however only some of the birds got up - due to the heavy clouds and occ. drizzle. and didn't even approach Sagres. They are still waiting for the weather and they are close - tomorrow looks better weather, though still cloudy - with low clouds - the next days its going to get to warmer again and sunnier according to the forecasts.

Nice to know about the flycatchers Mick - I've been well inland on the census and not been around Sagres itself the last days. Its late for them in numbers. There must be some nice unusual passerine around - wish I had time for a proper rummage!

Cabranosa

For those who don't know - the watchpoint Cabranosa is called by many names - Martin Hill fits perfectly for these days - nice one Mick! Known affectionately as Esticadinho by the chosen few!

Well Simon , Martin certainly puts the hours in up there. His IDs are certainly very welcomed by us.

Influx of larks today, a small flock of about 30 woodlark actually flitting about the hill, ( also seen by Martin & Steve) , while just off the metal road near the farm, I saw my first skylark of this visit. A few tree pipits also flitting about on the hill. Only saw one spot fly today though.

Plenty of boots about today in small parties of 5 - 20 ish and group of 5 ST seen several times, one black kite, a single sparrowhawk and a peragrine in a ploud field near Bispo.
Sadly no vultures ( yet).

Cabranosa

After a misty and drizzly start to the day it was another good day for boots and ST eagles( no doubt the same ones circulating the area,), peregrine , sparrowhawk and two black kites also put in an appearance on our final day on the hill, back tomorrow..
The black stork flock continues to build with a dozen or so birds doing the rounds over the pines, along with good numbers of swallows and martins hawking over the pines.
Another influx of pied,spot flies and willow warblers in the pines adjacent the "trig" point.
Thanks to Philipa of the Strix team for pointing out the scorpion on the hill today, Tina was also pleased with her help on IDing the peregrine and black kite.
On a personal note thanks again to Martin Hodges for entertaining us with us wildlife tales and ID skills along with the Portugese Strix team, whose guidance is always invaluable.
Just a shame for "contractual" reasons their records are not yet in the Public domain.

Unfortunately back home in the UK now.
Sod's law, our contact informs us, with the improved weather conditions a large influx of raptors at Cabranosa hill yesterday, afternoon including:
Egyptian,Griffon and Ruppell's vultures, Hobby, Marsh Harrier as well as
the usual migrating raptors and black storks.
Sick isn't the word, damn weather!
:-(

Unfortunately back home in the UK now.
Sod's law, our contact informs us, with the improved weather conditions a large influx of raptors at Cabranosa hill yesterday, afternoon including:
Egyptian,Griffon and Ruppell's vultures, Hobby, Marsh Harrier as well as
the usual migrating raptors and black storks.
Sick isn't the word, damn weather!
:-(

That's is such a pity you both missed things improving - damn sod's law indeed!

Its been so different this year as you know - its normally always good for lots of raptors through October. I've been a bit off the grapevine the last days - as you know moving house! B :) Anyway, I'll be out and about, including Sagres, during the week - actually birding not working!

162. Rüppell's Vulture (M;))

Last edited:
Just received a phone call from our friend Thijs - who found an Olive-backed Pipit and a Yellow-browed Warbler this morning very close to Cabranosa - for those who know it this year - just by the big haystack covered in black plastic. Hope at least the pipit stays till Thursday/Friday when I'll be there.

Yesterday there were 2, possibly 3 Rüppell's with the Griffons.

163. Olive-backed Pipit (V)
164. Yellow-browed Warbler (V)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back