• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saker Falcon? Iran (1 Viewer)

ehsan

Ehsan Talebi
Iran
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend.
It was recorded on August 7 in the north-west of Iran.

It would be great to have your opinion on this falcon. Is it a 2cy bird?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 8M2A2055.jpg
    8M2A2055.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 8M2A2056.jpg
    8M2A2056.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 8M2A2051.jpg
    8M2A2051.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 8M2A2052.jpg
    8M2A2052.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 19
  • 8M2A2062.jpg
    8M2A2062.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 50
Am no expert, but it looks very much like a Saker Falcon ehsan, the detached moustachial does support imo, as to ageing am unsure, perhaps a sub-adult might be a consideration?

Cheers

I am no real expert only having seen them in Hungary, but it certainly looks like ajuvenile to me with atypical heavy breast streaking. Not sure how this develops in 2CY birds.

I am no real expert only having seen them in Hungary, but it certainly looks like ajuvenile to me with atypical heavy breast streaking. Not sure how this develops in 2CY birds.

I was just coming back to have another look at this having checked in my available literature. The bluish foot colour (and cere) apparently can be retained for a year maybe more so perhaps not a reliable aging criteria. It can be difficult to age these birds as the OP indicated. In the last image #5 - the outer primary looks juvenile (pointed and brown) while the adjacent ones look fresh and more rounded - I don’t know enough about Sakers/moult/ to really know this significance but in other falcons I think at this time of year, it might indicate a 2cy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back