Saker Falcon? Tehran, Iran (1 Viewer)

ehsan

Ehsan Talebi
seen it today. sorry for the quality of images.

Attachments

• DSCN0858.jpg
    DSCN0858.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN0861.jpg
    DSCN0861.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0860.jpg
    DSCN0860.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0859.jpg
    DSCN0859.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 109

KenM

Certainly a Falcon, and allowing for the less than perfect images (I've taken a few like that :) the under-wing seems to compare to Saker.

I presume Saker would be the default large brown falcon in your area ehsan?

Cheers

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
According to Fergusson-Lee, the only Hierofalco in Iran is Saker... that would limit the risks of confusion.

ehsan

Ehsan Talebi
in autumn and winter in Tehran we can see Saker and Peregrine. i think there is little chance to see Barbary and Lanner in the city and i haven't found any evidence that they're observed in the city.

Iraq Babbler

It is a saker falcon , an ad. bird, pale inner pps, shallow dark underwing coverts, very long and pale under tail cov. thin barring on long tail, however compact body, ivwouls go for the race milvipes.

Omar

Valéry Schollaert

in autumn and winter in Tehran we can see Saker and Peregrine. i think there is little chance to see Barbary and Lanner in the city and i haven't found any evidence that they're observed in the city.

Peregrine and Barbary are not Hierofalco... ;)

It seems Lanner absent according to Fergusson-Lee, that was the only other option (because of pale, unstreaked trousers as Lou said)...

MJB

It is a saker falcon , an ad. bird, pale inner pps, shallow dark underwing coverts, very long and pale under tail cov. thin barring on long tail, however compact body, ivwouls go for the race milvipes. Omar

A reasonable assessment, Omar. Little work has been done on breeding distribution limits of 'Eastern Saker Falcon' F.(c.) milvipes but it's known to breed from Kazakhstan through Kyrgyzstan to Afghanistan and beyond, wintering in the plains of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and so it's not unlikely, albeit scarce, in Iran at this time of year.

Ehsan, was it near any open grassy area where small mammals might be found?
MJB

ehsan

Ehsan Talebi
Ehsan, was it near any open grassy area where small mammals might be found?
MJB

no, i've seen it in the city; from my apartment rooftop(apparently a great spot for observing raptors in this season |:d|).
there was a flock of domestic pigeons.

ehsan

Ehsan Talebi
Peregrine and Barbary are not Hierofalco... ;)

It seems Lanner absent according to Fergusson-Lee, that was the only other option (because of pale, unstreaked trousers as Lou said)...

yeah, you're right. thanks for the correction.
but in Lanner case, according to iranian sources it breads in north west of Iran.

Valéry Schollaert

Ok, I guess Fergusson-Lee is not that accurate for range in Iran.

I find tough to exclude Lanner on your photo.

Users who are viewing this thread