• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Salmonella ☹️ (1 Viewer)

HHome4

United States
Hello from Arkansas. I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help me. Almost a week ago we discovered there was a Salmonella outbreak at our backyard feeders. Lost several pine siskins. After doing some reading we immediately took down all of our feeders. I have learned how to clean the feeders (but will probably just replace instead). I also read it’s important to clean the ground of fecal matter. But HOW do I effectively clean bird poop from the ground and grass below? I’ve read this bacteria can live as long as 9 months in soil. I desperately want to clean our yard as well as possible. Not only for my wild birds but also for my two small children who play in these areas of the yard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure there are products out there to do the job that people use for their chickens etc. Never used it myself so don't know any more info. Don't know if this is any help
good luck

I'm pretty sure there are products out there to do the job that people use for their chickens etc. Never used it myself so don't know any more info. Don't know if this is any help
good luck
This does help. I’ll check with my local farm stores and see what they know about it. Thanks so much for replying.

I called farm supply COOP. They said typically those with chickens are just advised to use bleach, which would obviously kill all the grass. So she was as perplexed by what I should do as I am. But it was worth a shot.

I would expect that as any bird can carry salmonella, there will be low levels present around any feeder from droppings. Keeping the feeders themselves clean is probably the best you can achieve.

Teach the kids not to go touching things in the area, and if they do, to wash their hands afterwards!

I would expect that as any bird can carry salmonella, there will be low levels present around any feeder from droppings. Keeping the feeders themselves clean is probably the best you can achieve.
That’s exactly what I did here after two separate outbreaks during the coldest part of the winter. It’s good to move the feeders around if you’re able to as well.
In my experience there’s no need to try and clean the ground/grass etc, since I restarted feeding there have been no further outbreaks.

That’s exactly what I did here after two separate outbreaks during the coldest part of the winter. It’s good to move the feeders around if you’re able to as well.
In my experience there’s no need to try and clean the ground/grass etc, since I restarted feeding there have been no further outbreaks.
Good to know! Thanks so much!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back