• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saltators (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Chaves, J. A.; Klicka, J.; MOLECULAR PHYLOGENETICS, PHYLOGEOGRAPHY AND COMMUNITY STRUCTURE OF SALTATORS (Abstract ID:6648). Abstract

Saltators by IOC 2.8 - placed in Cardinalidae, by Clements 6.5 and TiF 2.74 - in Thraupidae, Actual AOU NACC and SACC checklists - as Incertae sedis but "Saltator" rufiventris by SACC in Thraupidae.

Related papers:
Klicka, Burns & Spellman, 2007. Defining a monophyletic Cardinalini: A molecular perspective. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 45 (2007) 1014–1032. PDF
Weir, Bermingham & Schluter, 2009: The Great American Biotic Interchange in Birds. PNAS 106 (51) 21737-21742. Supporting information PDF

SACC Proposals:
321. Remove Parkerthraustes and Saltator from Cardinalidae Passed
322. Remove Saltatricula from Emberizidae Passed
427. Transfer Saltator rufiventris from the Cardinalidae to the Thraupidae Passed
344. Merge Saltatricula into Saltator Did not pass
351. Transfer Saltator and Saltatricula from Incertae Sedis to Thraupidae Did not pass
Chaves, Hidalgo & Klicka (in press). Biogeography and evolutionary history of the Neotropical genus Saltator (Aves: Thraupini). J Biogeogr. [abstract] [supp info]
After confirming the placement of Saltator rufiventris outside Saltator (Fig. 1; Klicka et al., 2007), we omitted this taxon from all further analyses. ...

From a purely taxonomic point of view, the genus Saltator as currently configured remains paraphyletic. Despite its morphological dissimilarity, Saltatricula multicolor is clearly a member of this genus. Saltator coerulescens and S. maximus both harbour deeply divergent clades occurring on either side of the Isthmus of Panama. Minimally, these clades warrant recognition as phylogenetic species. Recent studies in Neotropical birds have revealed that traditional species-level taxa often conceal cryptic, genetically divergent lineages that are later found to represent new species (e.g. Milá et al., 2012). We recovered several such lineages within Saltator (S. maximus, S. grossus, S. aurantiirostris, S. coerulescens and S. striatipectus; see Fig. 2), although additional work on these taxa is required to better inform any additional taxonomic revisions. If these splits represent hidden lineages and given that most of these 'cryptic splits' have occurred during the Pleistocene, a more prominent role of Quaternary diversification in this group should be acknowledged.
  • Saltator multicolor - Many-colored Chaco Finch
  • Saltator (coerulescens) grandis - Middle American (Grayish) Saltator [Monroe & Sibley 1993, Hilty 2003]
  • Saltator (maximus) magnoides - Middle American Buff-throated Saltator

Last edited:
Rufous-bellied 'Saltator'

Brewer 2011 (HBW 16):
Recent molecular-genetic analyses indicate that this species is closer to thraupid genera Delothraupis and Dubusia and may merit placement in a separate genus, for which a new name would be needed; further study required.

AOU-SACC:
25b. Hellack and Schnell (1977, REFs) previously noted that "Saltator" rufiventris was an unusual saltator based on plumage and morphology. Genetic data (Klicka et al. 2007, Chaves et al. 2013) have revealed that "Saltator" rufiventris is definitely not a saltator but a tanager, closely related to Delothraupis and Dubusia. SACC proposal passed to move to Thraupidae. Because there is no other genus name available, the species is maintained here provisionally, as indicated by quotation marks, pending a proposal to move to Dubusia or naming of a new genus.

Last edited:
Proposal 879 passed (some time ago, actually) for a three way split (S. grandis = Middle American, S. olivascens = Caribbean, and S. coerulescens = Amazonian groups), but is awaiting English name decisions in order to be implemented.

I am in the midst of writing up an English names proposal but do not have a lot of my books at hand. If anyone can find any in print use of English names for these three beyond what HBW/Birdlife or eBird/Clements use for group names, I'd be interested to know about it, to see what precedent there might be out there.

Cheers in advance,
Josh

Hellmayr, 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, gave the following English names:

Saltator coerulescens grandis (Lichtenstein, 1830) - Lichtenstein's Saltator

Saltator coerulescens olivascens Cabanis, 1849 - Olivascent Saltator

Saltator coerulescens coerulescens Vieillot, 1817 - Grayish Saltator

Proposal 879 passed (some time ago, actually) for a three way split (S. grandis = Middle American, S. olivascens = Caribbean, and S. coerulescens = Amazonian groups), but is awaiting English name decisions in order to be implemented.

I am in the midst of writing up an English names proposal but do not have a lot of my books at hand. If anyone can find any in print use of English names for these three beyond what HBW/Birdlife or eBird/Clements use for group names, I'd be interested to know about it, to see what precedent there might be out there.

Cheers in advance,
Josh
S. (c) grandis : Middle American Saltator (W. Deppe, 1830) in A.O.U. Checklist of North American birds

On a different subject has the proposal for the multi-way split of the Rufous Antpitta complex been accepted by SACC?

Is that also waiting on English name decisions?

That seems to have been in limbo even longer that the saltator one.

Josh, I read the comments in the proposal and have negative feelings towards those proposals that include the word Caribbean. To use a combination including this word for a species that does not occur on Caribbean islands makes no sense to me.

Niels

Josh, I read the comments in the proposal and have negative feelings towards those proposals that include the word Caribbean. To use a combination including this word for a species that does not occur on Caribbean islands makes no sense to me.

Niels
Agree with that. In flippant mode, just googled "drab" synonyms. Might that help?

synonyms: colourless, grey, greyish, dull, dull-coloured, washed out, neutral, pale, muted, lacklustre, lustreless, muddy, watery, lightish brown, brownish, brownish-grey, mousy, dun-coloured, dingy, dreary, dismal, cheerless, gloomy, sombre, depressing, uninteresting, boring, tedious, monotonous, dry, wearisome, unexciting, bland, non-stimulating, unimaginative, uninspiring, uninspired, insipid, vapid, flat, stale, trite, vacuous, feeble, pallid, wishy-washy, limp, lame, tired, lifeless, zestless, spiritless, sterile, anaemic, barren, tame, bloodless, antiseptic, middle-of-the-road, run-of-the-mill, commonplace, mediocre, nondescript, characterless, mundane, unexceptional, unremarkable, humdrum, prosaic

Niels
It occurs in Trinidad, isn't that the Caribbean?

It occurs in Trinidad, isn't that the Caribbean?
In a biogeography sense it is South America, both when thinking about the bird species found there and thinking about the northern mountain range in Trinidad being called the eastern continuation of the Venezuelan Andes.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back