• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung Android Galaxy phone, old or new? (2 Viewers)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
I'm just thinking about dipping my toe into digiscoping and wondering where to start.
I have a Swarovski ATS65 telescope, and currently a Samsung Galaxy S10 ( which might be upgraded in the summer ).

In other threads I've seen an amazing set of pics using an S10 a couple of years ago with the person then upgrading the phone and not finding it as good. It seems the newer phones with several cameras within the phone body might cause a problem, though that is what I surmise and might not be an accurate assumption.

Therefore.... are there Galaxy owners out there digiscoping successfully with one of the newer S series Galaxy's?
thanks in advance.
Q

Use of a third party camera app, eg Open Camera, can make it much easier to adjust settings and to dictate which camera you want to use. This prevents the phone from automatically switching between cameras and ruining your scope set up.

Much of the increase in phone image quality comes from the post-processing the camera app can do. This is only capable with the most modern phones.

Ah thank you for replying Mono.
I have been browsing phone adaptors and seen Phoneskope mentioned. They also have a camera app to use with the adaptor which sounds like it has a similar function to Open Camera.
I shall investigate Open Camera.
Thanks again.
Q

I use the galaxy ultra s21 and I am happy with it. The pro mode of the galaxy camera app also let you choose the lens you wish to use.
Open camera is also good. I tried the phoneskope camera app but it didn't let me choose the lens.

Thank you Gzoladz74.
That's useful information, the sort of thing I'm after.
I will need to upgrade my S10 in a few months, so it's useful to know that newer phones work and that Open Camera can help you to specify which lens to use.
Thanks for that.

Thank you Gzoladz74.
That's useful information, the sort of thing I'm after.
I will need to upgrade my S10 in a few months, so it's useful to know that newer phones work and that Open Camera can help you to specify which lens to use.
Thanks for that.
I don't think you can go wrong with any new galaxy phone. Pro mode let you choose the lens too. A good adapter is key though.

Thanks for that.
Choosing an adaptor is the next step.
With a Swarovski scope I either have to go with their own adaptor ( expensive ) or choose a third party one such as Phone Skope.
Any thoughts on adaptor choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back