• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper, Cheltenham (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello can I have a ID of this bird please, photographed this morning at Pittville Lake, Cheltenham. The bird was a long way off across the lake and well hidden. In flight the bird had a distinct white bar across the top of its tail feathers. I think it could be a Wood Sandpiper but not sure.

Attachments

• DSCN4871.jpeg
    DSCN4871.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 110
Hello Mike,
your bird is a Comon Sandpiper.
Please note streaked breast sides in the right shape with white central breast (patches doesnt meet), the right dark pasttern to the upperparts without pale (whitish) spots to the upperparts.

Edit: sorry, to late

Thank you. Do Common Sandpipers have a distinct white bar across the top of the tail feathers in flight, I have no picture of the birds flying, I saw two.

Mike.

Hello Mike,
no, then the flying birds migt have been similar sized Wood or Green Sandpipers. Both have white rumps, while Common Sandpiper has mostly dark rump and tail with white (barred) outer tail feathers, which can be distinct when tail is spred (Common Sandpiper do this regular in flight)

My initial thought was maybe you saw a Green as well, but the photographed bird is a Common.

Green Sandpipers do on occasion seem to be masters at skulking in waterside vegetation, dips and ditches, preferring less open habitat than the Wood Sandpipers I have seen, which I think favour more open pools and scrapes. A Green Sandpiper should give a more contrasty overall plumage than Wood.

Thank you, I had already come to the conclusion that maybe the birds I saw flying was not the Common Sandpiper I photographed. Gives me something to do tomorrow.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back