• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

tril42

Suzanne Britton
Canada
Photographed at Richmond Conservation Area today. More photos are available if needed.

Attachments

• sandpiper1.jpg
    sandpiper1.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 122
  • sandpiper2.jpg
    sandpiper2.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 84
  • sandpiper3.jpg
    sandpiper3.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
My confusion with this sandpiper stemmed mainly from its legs looking blackish from every angle (and I had a pretty close view of it in my scope.) Maybe they were just coated in mud?

The leg colour on Least Sandpiper is often hard to see if they are messing around in mud (as this one is). But the warm brown plumage rules out Semipalmated, which is the only other "peep" likely to show up in Ottawa. I agree with Rafael - Baird's would show a much longer primary projection.

Tricky one but this is indeed a Juvenile Least Sandpiper. The combination of fairly dense streaking on the face and chest helps a little with the ID, but is not as extensive as on an adult Least in August plumage. The tapered downward curved bill becomes very pointy at the tip, more so than on Western or Semipalmated, and the clincher is that in addition to these other factors, all of the coverts are orange and fresh with scalloping (pale fringes) proving it as a juvenile. Juvenile western would mostly have orange upper scapulars (occasionally some lower scaps and tertials). The whole wing of this bird is orange in other words making this a Juvenile Least.

Western is the confusion competitor here. Bairds would be much longer winged and of a bulkier build, also showing a thicker bill and blunter tipped bill. Semipalmated only get orange as adults, and again bill shape is all wrong for them here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back