• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sandpiper (or sandpiper-like bird) ID help in Texas? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
DSCN2245.JPG
DSCN2246.JPG

Seen about a week ago in Central TX, probing around a stretch of shallow water in a river. I know there's a Greater Yellowlegs, and I believe the little fellows are Least Sandpipers. But I'm really not sure what the others are. They're the medium-sized ones that are present, and not flying, in both photos. Is there enough detail to identify them? I imagine there are half a dozen little things that can be used to tell them apart from other species, like many similar birds seem to have, but I don't know what those particular little things are.

theexpert

Romania
The larger grey one in the second image looks like a greater yellowlegs to me. The smaller brown ones in the first image could be pectoral sandpipers, but I can't confirm that.

Kratter

In the second photo, it looks like the two birds in flight in the first have joined the two Pectorals (they are the second and fourth birds from the left). They are much smaller and rather plain backed. Could be either Semipalmated or Least Sandpiper, but I can't quite see the leg color or bill size

Tired

United States
I'm pretty sure the little guys are Least sandpipers, I have them from other angles and they have yellowish legs. They were a delight to watch! So cute and small. And I've seen and identified the greater legs before. I just couldn't figure out what the others were.

This is a good spot to birdwatch. Mankin's Crossing, near Georgetown. An old low-water bridge. Aside from the three species in the photos above, I saw a solitary sandpiper (a lifer!), a snowy egret, a greater egret, a great blue heron, a kildeer, some very attention-seeking red-winged blackbirds, pied-billed grebes, black vultures, a couple of crows, and blue-winged teal. Not bad for about half an hour of watching, standing on the same bridge. The birds are slightly used to people, too, because the bridge is still in frequent use. Means I don't have to worry about scaring them with the car when I drive up, they don't care about cars at all.

Users who are viewing this thread