• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gatheredeagle

Hi everyone I have such trouble identifying these little things that I’m most cases I’ve given up. Any help would be appreciated!
Near Woodley Lake in the Sepulveda wildlife basin, Encino, Los Angeles County
Seen at the Los Angeles river
About sparrow sized, maybe a little larger.
I was losing light so the pictures aren’t super sharp.
563FA41B-FCFC-47FF-92CB-84E4E51CC0F0.jpeg4B4FD465-EC6B-4E69-B05D-91DF20DC18BD.jpegF445FEC5-0F0B-48EC-9094-55C50AF50FE9.jpegD4BEBF5C-9F56-4A11-9DAC-7551A344400D.jpegFF4A1189-CFFE-41A6-A32A-05CD144D613D.jpegE45E81FB-4A66-4B43-9D17-3C4C5221AF94.jpeg

Last edited:
I think 1, 2, 3 and 6 are Least Sandpiper due to the yellowish legs, and curved short bill. 1 doesn't seem to have much of a curve but it doesn't match Semi-palmated, and Baird's would have a sleeker body (and leg color is wrong)
The others might be as well. Harder to tell as the leg color isn't really visible, but shape seems the same.

Curious if others agree...

It’s a Least Sandpiper

(x-posted with previous poster - semi-p winters in SA ( does semi-p even occur in CA, it’s a bird of the Eastern Seaboard? Especially note leg colour (straight away exc both Western, semi-p and Bairds) and structure - Baird’s is a long-backed wide squat shaped with a long tail projection, and all the latter have larger, thicker bills.

Last edited:
I think 1, 2, 3 and 6 are Least Sandpiper due to the yellowish legs, and curved short bill. 1 doesn't seem to have much of a curve but it doesn't match Semi-palmated, and Baird's would have a sleeker body (and leg color is wrong)
The others might be as well. Harder to tell as the leg color isn't really visible, but shape seems the same.

So you think I have taken pictures of more than one species?

Thanks!

It’s a Least Sandpiper

(x-posted with previous poster - semi-p winters in SA ( does semi-p even occur in CA, it’s a bird of the Eastern Seaboard? Especially note leg colour (straight away exc both Western, semi-p and Bairds) and structure - Baird’s is a long-backed wide squat shaped with a long tail projection, and all the latter have larger, thicker bills.
Deb, I was certain you were going to state long WING projection for Baird's. Is this a typo or am I wrong?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back