• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sandpiper & Snipe ID, Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

mzwebby

First, a thanks to all who have given suggestions and input to my previous questions. Much appreciated!!

Two ID questions, both with poor quality photos taken at long distances.
1. Snipe seen in freshwater pond/reservoir. Photos show clear stripes on back and longish bill. Common Snipe?
2. Sandpiper seen at edge of small reservoir. Lone bird, at the time not feeding, just resting. Common Greenshank? Marsh Sandpiper?

Thanks for any ID tips or help you can provide.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    891.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00401.JPG
    DSC00401.JPG
    800.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00403.JPG
    DSC00403.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 60

HouseCrow

I have no experience with Chinese snipe, only a little with Japanese.
Greenshank is fine, I would say too. But I doubt you will get an ID for the snipe. I think you need a lot more detail on that. Pintail and Swinhoe's are the other regular options? And I guess there are one or two more (Latham? Great?) They all look quite similar...

sorry,
cheers
Gerben

johnallcock

Options for the snipe are Common, Pintail and Swinhoe's. I don't think Japanese/Latham's has ever been recorded in southern China.
Even on good views snipe ID can be tricky, and these photos aren't great for ID because of the distance. I would say that the paleness and pattern on the scapulars fits better for Pintail/Swinhoe's than for Common but I don't think you can confirm ID here.

mzwebby

Options for the snipe are Common, Pintail and Swinhoe's. I don't think Japanese/Latham's has ever been recorded in southern China.
Even on good views snipe ID can be tricky, and these photos aren't great for ID because of the distance. I would say that the paleness and pattern on the scapulars fits better for Pintail/Swinhoe's than for Common but I don't think you can confirm ID here.
Thanks John, appreciate the help!

Users who are viewing this thread