• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipers with orange on faces, Plum Island, Massachusetts, USA (1 Viewer)

TKbird

Hello,
I was on Plum Island a month or so ago and observed several White-rumped Sandpipers with orange near the bill (e.g. attached image). I can't find any mention of this in any identification guides.
Yesterday, I encountered photos someone else posted that show a Semipalmated Sandpiper with orange near the bill (mis-ID'd—I've let her know).

I would appreciate help understanding sandpipers with orange on their faces. Thanks! TKbird

Attachments

• DSCN4216 copy.JPG
    DSCN4216 copy.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hello,
I was on Plum Island a month or so ago and observed several WRSAs with orange near the bill (e.g. attached image). I can't find any mention of this in any identification guides.
Yesterday, I encountered photos someone else posted that show a SESA with orange near the bill.

I would appreciate help understanding sandpipers with orange on their faces. Thanks! TKbird
I think you will get a better response if you eschew using abbreviations for birds, which many of the viewers on this forum will not know. This applies also to location names. MA is where - Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts?

I think you will get a better response if you eschew using abbreviations for birds, which many of the viewers on this forum will not know. This applies also to location names. MA is where - Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts?
Hmm, you could be right. I've edited the post accordingly. Thanks for the suggestion!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back