• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (2 Viewers)

late news yesterday Whinchat male (first record this year) 3 Wheatear and yellow wagtail at Salters also a white wagtail at Forge Mill.
Good Birding YAMYAM

On this day(9thMay) 2004, I recorded 4 Ruddy Ducks down the Valley (2m & 2fm). the last time I saw a Ruddy Duck at the Valley was on the 29th May 2004. Where these the last recorded at Sandwell Valley before their unjustifiable, in my opinion, extermination. All going to Spain to breed with the White Headed Duck, because there aren`t any in the UK!!!

Richard

On this day(9thMay) 2004, I recorded 4 Ruddy Ducks down the Valley (2m & 2fm). the last time I saw a Ruddy Duck at the Valley was on the 29th May 2004. Where these the last recorded at Sandwell Valley before their unjustifiable, in my opinion, extermination. All going to Spain to breed with the White Headed Duck, because there aren`t any in the UK!!!

Richard
The last valley record was the 4/9/13 with a female on Forge Mill
Good Birding YAMYAM

Been quiet of late only things of note over the last two weeks have been Yellow wagtail and Ringed Plover
Good Birding YAMYAM

Late news yesterday we had our first Redshank for the year also present Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper x2, LRP x5 and Oystercatcher x7.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Re: Ruddy Duck - most were trapped/shot under licence at their Winter gatherings some time ago. Suspected hybrids etc were eliminated afaik along similar lines in Spain. There was a lingering male with a gammy leg down at Sheepwash that finally expired or disappeared abot 3 years ago iirc. ‘Lonesome Duck’ became a celebrity year-tick during his tenure with me even giving LGRE directions to the site - his reciprocated details with regard to Slender-billed Curlew in Maroc sadly did not yield a result but i did click with Marsh Owl!

Good birding -

Laurie :)

Water Rail last Saturday near the sluice gate on Forge Mill. Thinking that i imagined it but someone in the hide confirmed they had seen one in the same area on Sunday. Are they usually around this time of year?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back