• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (19 Viewers)

The woodcock was a massive surprise today. Flushed it from near the bench by the river view in that little copse. It didn't fly far, possibly to the railway embankment. Also, the pintail appears to be a different one to the the male and female that were present for a couple of months. Finally, I got word that a med gull was again seen this afternoon.

Also seen tuesday pochard x 36, Wigeon x30, Gadwall x28, Goosander x14, Teal x20 and Shoveler x10 per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

News from this morning, Wigeon x27, Pochard x27, Tufted Duck x60, Goosander x22 and a Kingfisher. no sign of Med or Pintail by mid day.
Good Birding YAMYAM

The woodcock was a massive surprise today. Flushed it from near the bench by the river view in that little copse. It didn't fly far, possibly to the railway embankment. Also, the pintail appears to be a different one to the the male and female that were present for a couple of months. Finally, I got word that a med gull was again seen this afternoon.

Just a note on the Woodcock Mike flushed on the 6th Dec, this was only the sixth record for the year the other birds where seen on the 30th Jan, 8th Feb, 12th Oct, 10th Nov and the 12th Nov.
Good Birding YAMYAM

More news from today lapwing x48, Snipe x20, Jack Snipe, Pintail and Goosander x54 at dusk. per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
News for today, Jack Snipe x8, Snipe x 65, Green Sand x1, Water Rail x4, Pintail and Willow Tit x2. per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Today’s news Goldeneye x 1 female, Pintail x1 male, Tufted Duck 80+, Water Rail x2, Pochard x18, Snipe x25, Goosander x8, Teal, Wigeon and Gadwall. Per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Pete also had c51 Snipe on the island yesterday (13th) they favour the south/west corner of the island its a fantastic sight to see so many Snipe out in the open not sure what attracts them to this particular part of the island ?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Herring Gull

Just a note on Herring Gulls in the Valley Pete Carless had ten birds on Forge Mill last week he told me it was the most Herring Gulls he had seen together in the Valley. Usually the birds are present in ones or twos. Still not a common sight on Forge Mill with Swan Pool being the favoured location, the max count was in March 1989 when sixty birds where present.
Good Birding YAMYAM

An update on Alan he his back at home and is slowly on the mend, Pete Carless has been to see him and says he is in good spirits hopefully we will see him out in the field in the New Year.
Good Birding YAMYAM

News for today:- Pintail, Goosander x8, Wigeon x13, Pochard x15, Lapwing x30+ and Snipe x59 on the island per Pete Carless.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I put a link to the Albatross on the 'other' thread on the 7th Nov - keep up!;).....Amazing tho' 60+ and still breeding, inspiration for us all (i'm 58).

Laurie:t:

Also seen today Goosander x6, Pochard x17, Wigeon x23, Gadwall x20 and Snipe x50 per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back