• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (4 Viewers)

we had a fall of 250+ Meadow pipit in the Valley today, in with 60+ birds at Swan pool meadow a Water pipit was picked out per Mike Ixer also the first Sand Martin of the year was seen with 3 birds over Salters lane per Clive Higgins.
Good Birding YAMYAM

On Wednesday I had a report of an injured Great Crested Grebe at Swan pool, near to the island. A passer-by had helped the bird back into the water and he said it looked as if the bird had been attacked by a dog. I had a good look for it on Wednesday and again today but there was no sign.

On Wednesday I had a report of an injured Great Crested Grebe at Swan pool, near to the island. A passer-by had helped the bird back into the water and he said it looked as if the bird had been attacked by a dog. I had a good look for it on Wednesday and again today but there was no sign.
I had 4 birds on there today they all looked healthy 2 birds were displaying
Good Birding YAMYAM

While going through some old photographs I came across a photograph of some Gulls on the rail to the right of the hide and decided to crop and add to the Gull Identification face book page for information on a gull at the far end of the rail.

The answer I got was a little surprising it was a first winter Great Black Backed Gull date for photograph taken was September 30th 2011 happy days from my early days around Sandwell Valley RSPB

Attachments

• BLACK HEADED AND LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS - SANDWELL VALLEY RSPB & SURROUNDING AREA 30 09 201...JPG
    BLACK HEADED AND LESSER BLACK BACKED GULLS - SANDWELL VALLEY RSPB & SURROUNDING AREA 30 09 201...JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
This is the reply I got for the bird in question

Now this one is interesting. It looks smaller than the adult LBBG but I suspect that is down to distance and the fact I think the focal point is somewhere towards the front BHGs. I thought at first glance a sub-adult LBBG but a close look shows flesh legs, a bulbous tipped large bill with dark sub-terminal marks and a red spot developing, larger white tips to the primaries , a shorter looking primary projection making it look less slim and a different head shape. The mantle and coverts have a brown tone which altogether suggests a sub-adult or young adult Great Black-back. An immature LBBG can have fleshy legs but would not show that extent of white in the primaries.

It was taken in 2011 30th September I was only passing on the reply

Attachments

• 162133114_10221608249210053_3816217809177425052_o.jpg
    162133114_10221608249210053_3816217809177425052_o.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 6
Interesting; I have only looked at the picture on my phone, and at first glance I was happy it was a Herring Gull; your reposted version is much more GBB shaped and appears darker than the original. I’ll put it down to the dangers of relying on an image, rather than observing the bird itself.

A very pleasant 3 hours included 3 Goldeneye, 1m2f, on Swan Pool, Cetti’s on Forge Mill and at least 6 Chiffchaffs in song.

FWIW the Gull looks good for GBB - nice proportions, good driller and primary ‘step’...

Good birding -

Laurie -

Last edited:
Yesterday I heard a loud piglet sounding squeel whilst at Forge Mill. Could that be a Water Rail? Also heard the Cetti's Warbler, two Buzzards flying over FML and a LRP landed on the islands opposite the hide. Also, Robins seem to have taken over the whole Valley (plenty of Chiffchaf's chiff chaffing as well)! Also saw a male Goldeneye on Swan Pool (I might have seen two females as well). Also heard rumours of Redpol and Siskins at the feeders but saw nothing. Any good places around Sandwell Valley to see Redpol and Siskins?

Last edited:
Yesterday I heard a loud piglet sounding squeel whilst at Forge Mill. Could that be a Water Rail? Also heard the Cetti's Warbler, two Buzzards flying over FML and a LRP landed on the islands opposite the hide. Also, Robins seem to have taken over the whole Valley (plenty of Chiffchaf's chiff chaffing as well)! Also saw a male Goldeneye on Swan Pool (I might have seen two females as well). Also heard rumours of Redpol and Siskins at the feeders but saw nothing. Any good places around Sandwell Valley to see Redpol and Siskins?
You'll hear Siskins just about anywhere. I've always found Swan pool car park to be a regular place, but last week I heard them over the RSPB centre, and there were a couple flying overhead at the bench that overlooks the RSPB island.
Redpolls seem to be a bit hit and miss. In 35 years birding at the Valley I've only ever seen them in the Swan pool area, around Ice House and around Salters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back