• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanpiper id - BC Canada (1 Viewer)

benoitjh

Canada
Hello, I realise this is not the best picture to identify from. I felt like size wise it's something like a Pectoral Sandpiper or larger.
Seen today in S. Central BC. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8805.JPG
    IMG_8805.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 130
I wondered about that long-looking rear-end as well, but I'm not even convinced that's what it is: it looks rather disjointed from the rest of the bird and as though it might just be (another) black thing in the water behind. The apparent pink on the bill fits spotted sandpiper and not solitary sandpiper.
If there are any more photos, worse or otherwise, it could help.

Not a great photo to have to ID, but the attenuated rear end makes me think more Solitary Sandpiper.

Brian
Thanks....I believe that Solitary is most likely as there was one reported at this location that day and no Spotted reported. Also the overall proportions (incl. longer legs) lean towards Solitary. I didn't get more photos unfortunately.

• 1st-years may not.
  • Low-quality photo.
  • Pink on bill.
I think shape is wrong for spotted. I'd also suggest that there isn't really pink on the bill---at least it's not clearly there when I zoom in on my phone. So this puts me in the solitary camp

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back