• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sauce for the goose... (1 Viewer)

Anthony Morton

On numerous occasions members have been quick to point out that BF is a site dedicated to wild birds. This has even been taken a stage further, with all reference to p*****s being banned and postings about them being deleted.

Under 'Birds of Prey' there is currently a thread relating to a trained Harris Hawk and its handler being employed against the diminishing flock of feral p*****s in Trafalgar Square. I have even taken part in this thread.

However, can this non-indiginous species of BOP really be classified as a 'wild bird' if p*****s are not? After all, what's sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander, shouldn't it?

Anthony

(Sorry about all the asterisks but that's the only spelling which seems to be acceptable to the mods at the moment.)

Last edited:
Interesting question Anthony. I don't wish to deter from your thread but while we are on the subject can someone tell me why we can no longer mention pigeons and why they are not classed as wild birds. I always understood the Rock Dove to be the ancestor of all tame and town pigeons and that escaped racing and dovecot pigeons, long ago, established themselves back in the wild. Are they not at least as much "British birds" as pheasants?

Last edited:
Anthony Morton said:
The point under discussion is whether the Trafalgar Square Harris Hawk constitutes a wild British bird. My opinion is that it does not.

Semantics Anthony! No, it's not a wild British bird, but its presence there is impacting on a population of wild birds, namely the (albeit rather variable) Feral Pigeons.

So discussions relating to it surely do have a place in Birdforum.

CE

At one time, in my home town the Local Authority introduced a peregine falcon to keep down the P****n poulation in the city centre. In this case the p*****ns were feral but the peregrine was not.

A case of what is sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose perhaps? It raises the question if any bird that is introduced can ever be truly wild I suppose.

David Pedder said:
Dont you believe it Jurek! Tourte de pigeon, Sauce Poivrade et Airelles...Yummy!! ;)

SUrely you don't mean FERAL pigeons? They have more life inside than Amazonia! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back