• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Savannah or Vesper Sparrow? Reno NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Hi, I saw both of these birds yesterday (Sept 21, 20020) at Swan Lake Nature Study Area on the outskirts of Reno Nevada. At first I thought they were both Savannah Sparrows which are common here but then I noticed that a few Vesper Sparrows are also reported. Are they both Savannah? Vesper? one of each (if so which is which). The more I look, the more confused I get. Any insights into how you determine what they are would be gratefully appreciated! Kathy

Attachments

• Savanaha sparrow12 small.jpg
    Savanaha sparrow12 small.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Savanaha sparrow Small.jpg
    Savanaha sparrow Small.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 47
They can be tricky to sort out. A few things to look for: Vesper Sparrows are very plain/drab sparrows. They are a bit oddly shaped compared to common sparrow - less plump. The white eye ring usually stands out. Savannah is more of a classic sparrow shape (similar to Song Sparrow). In the first image you can see a yellow patch forward of the eye which is a good indicator for Savannah (though not all birds show it).

Hope this helps.! :)

Thanks to all of you for helping me to sort this out!!!!!! I will keep all of your insight in mind going forward.

Best Wishes, Kathy

Kathy, when you have a problem with an I D, don't hesitate to post an image here. That's what we're here for ;)

How do you distinguish Savannah from Song Sparrow? What does one look for?
I posted an ID that was kindly confirmed of a Song Sparrow but I based my ID also on range (Bay Area). Before I checked the range, it looked very similar to Savannah...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back