• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saw my first ever Stoat (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Was out Birding at my local patch today had a walk though didn’t see many birds apart from a couple of Great Tits though I did see a Stoat was amazing at first I thought it was a Squirrel then I realised it was actually a Stoat. I have never seen one before not at my local patch or my life what a thrill sadly it disappeared quick so couldn’t get a photo.

How thrilling that must have been. To bad you didn’t get a photo of it. I had to look stoat up to find it is what we call a weasel.

One of the problems of vernacular names ;)
Martin

True, but we all do it. And I’ve seen stoat used a lot on the forum, so. It is a quite popular name. And in this day and age only took me a couple of seconds to find out what it was. ;)

I must admit, I like stoat better than weasel.

I have never seen one before not at my local patch or my life what a thrill sadly it disappeared quick so couldn’t get a photo.
Yeah, they are wont to do that. Have seen both Weasel and Stoat several times and they have a knack for disappearing as soon as you have your camera ready. Just like some birds...

Stoat is Long-tailed weasel in America, what we call weasel is called Least weasel o’er The Pond.

David
Actually, Long-tailed Weasel is a different species (Mustela frenata); the American name for the Stoat is "Short-tailed Weasel". The Long-tailed Weasel is slightly bigger and has a different summer coat.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back