• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sawfly ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

I found this sawfly on a fencepost by the side of the River Esk this morning. I've found a few similar-looking species but none of them has an orange/red abdomen. Any suggestions as to what it might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Sawfly 8April22 red 1.jpg
    Sawfly 8April22 red 1.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Sawfly 8April22 red 2.jpg
    Sawfly 8April22 red 2.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 17
Many thanks for that, creaturesnapper!

It looks like a good match to me (the wing venation is certainly spot on), it's the right time of year, the habitat checks out, and the species has been recorded in the county before.

I'll submit it to iRecord as a "likely" and see how I get on

Thanks again

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back