• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sawfly (?) with long tail ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

I found this insect earlier today at the edge of a small group of deciduous trees in an open grassy area. It looks like a sawfly to me, but the closest match I've found is Urocerus gigas - which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5216 cr ed 1500.jpg
    IMG_5216 cr ed 1500.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 21

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
Hello

I found this insect earlier today at the edge of a small group of deciduous trees in an open grassy area. It looks like a sawfly to me, but the closest match I've found is Urocerus gigas - which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Ichneumonidae, possibly Banchinae?

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
Many thanks for the speedy response, Ficedula!

I'm sure you're right as I found the following image after Googling "Banchinae" which looks like a very good match to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banchinae#/media/File:Lissonota_sp01.jpg

I'm guessing that it's not going to be possible to ID it down to species level from this photo alone though!

Regards

Paul

not from a single shot, least not by me, Lissonota are common and diverse and most I find exceedingly difficult to name from specimens let alone a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread