• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Saying Hello.... (1 Viewer)

jtgriffs

United Kingdom
Hello, newbie here all be it with a bit of birding history. My Dad was a keen bird watcher and introduced me to birding when I was young. I grew up in North Wales and Dad's close friends/fellow birders where Ted Jones, better known as author and BBC Wales naturalist E.V. Breeze Jones (I'm talking 60's/70's here so sorry for any younger members who don't recognise the name. Dad supplied a few photos for Ted's books in Welsh and English on birding in Wales, in particular Snowdonia. The other member of their group was Charles Tunicliffe, though most of their adventures took place before I was born they where close friends until my Dad's untimely death when I was just 11. I remember Ted Jones particularly as he was known to my sister and I as simply Uncle Ted.

Sadly following my Dad's death my interest in birds went with him as difficult memories but the years have healed and I have gradually realised that it obviously runs in the blood! So here I am finding myself trying to remember what my Dad taught me and a few bits I've picked up since, but really it's learning all over again and so I hope to share my adventures here and probably ask a few questions along the way from the experts which I am sure abound this place. To start it off I will mention the Chiffchaff I think I spotted sitting in a tree in the field just behind my backyard this morning, I think it was probably a Common though having checked pictures and Siberian seems possible, unfortunately I only had a few moments to grab the binoculars and the tree being quite dense in twigs made it hard to study it properly before it flew off as normally happens on these spontaneous occasions! Anyway that's a pretty long hello, if you have made it to the end, well done, thank you and look forward to being a part of this.

KC Foggin

Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Birding is a great relaxer ;)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi joondalup and a warm welcome from me too.

Re your possible Chiffchaff.... all I could say would be that it wouldn't be a Willow Warbler at this time of year LOL. But I couldn't go any further than that.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

jtgriffs

United Kingdom
Thank you for all the welcomes today just finding my way around the site now. Update on Chiffchaff whilst I'm accepting probably a Common the possibility of it being Siberian is not ruled out as one has been seen recently not far from me. At the end of the day it's a bird 🙂 and that's nice enough for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread