• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scarlet Tanger? - Lillington, NC - USA (1 Viewer)

ImagesNC

Saw this bird probably 150 feet high in one of the pines behind the visitors center at Raven Rock State Park. At first glance I thought it was a cardinal but I looked closer and had to take what few shots I could get. So from several hundred feet away here it is.

My best guess from what i could find was a Scarlet Tanger. Can anyone who knows more than me (just about everyone) confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpg
    IMG_8844.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 97
I think it is either a Summer or a Scarlet Tanager, and owing to the apparent size of the bill, I will suggest that it is a Summer Tanager.

Edit cross-posting with MichavdB!

Last edited:
Many thanks. I was able to get a bit better shots the other day.

I tried to upload one of the shots but I get an unknown error. On my phone right now so I'll try again when I get home

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back