• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish coast trip (1 Viewer)

claretjohn

Will be doing a trip around the Scottish coast in a campervan in September (hopefully!!). Starting at Arran, up the West coast, along the north and returning down the East Coast as far as Inverness with a detour to Braemar in the Cairngorms.
Can anyone suggest any good birding locations en route please?
Thanks
PS. Will have limited access due to motorhome but will be taking a bike (if I can remember how to ride one :-O)

Oh my!!! What a wonderful trip you're in for.

You will find a load of information in our Opus articles, which you can access here: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Scotland.

Also get hold of Gordon Hamlett's book, Best Birdwatching Sites Scottish Highlands, it's excellent and full of hints and tips, places to go etc. (he's a member here too and may well pop in if he's around).

Remember, though, that the cliffs will be empty of breeding birds by then, but September is still a great month to visit.

I agree with Delia and Andy’s recommendations. In all honesty I’ve think you’ll be spoilt for choice. I can recommend. The fish and chips in Ullapool. 2 min walk from campsite. Keep an eye out for Tysties on the Loch and always the chance of a rare gull.

Sounds like a brilliant trip.

Rich

Thanks all for the links and references.
I'm really looking forward to the trip, as we love the Scottish West Coast.
Thanks
John

Gairloch for Black, Red and Great Northern Divers.

By Sept. There are rafts of them.

Also White Tailed Sea Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back