• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Dragons and Damsels. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
I’m in Scotland next week for 6 days wildlife watching based in glenloy and nethy bridge.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good locations for Odonata near either place that would still be flying in late august that I wouldn’t get much chance to see down south.

There are some good tips in this thread from Larry and Kevin:

Two weeks ago there were plenty of Common Hawkers in woods near Nethybridge. Lots of Emerald Damselflies from the leftmost hide at Loch of Kinnordy. Didn’t look for any of the specials.

It's probably getting a bit late for the Scottish specialities, but other than white-faced darter I think we're still within the tail end of the flight season so worth trying the sites that have been mentioned in other threads for azure hawker, northern emerald and northern damsel. Common Hawker will still be about and tends to be easier to find in Scotland than further south. I've never seen the blue form of the female outside Scotland.

Nethy Bridge is very close to Boat of Garten so worth having a look at the pond on the road from the B907 to Loch Garten which is the easy place to get northern damsels if they're still on the wing.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back