• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scratch or Dust (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Does anyone know what this is.

Just bought a brand new pair of 10x42 FP.
Apart from the rubber armouring which wasn't stuck down properly in places plus this scratch or peace of dust on the focusing element, there fine..

Is this really acceptable for a £1600.00 alpha binocular.
What's happening with the quality control at Swarovski these days..

It doesn't effect the image but why should it be there in the first place...?

Cheers

Tim

20210602_180405.jpg20210602_180136.jpg

Last edited:
My advise is the same. Return it!

If you have not seen my thread so far, I sent my binoculars in for the same reason. But they were returned to me with more dust and and scratch on the lens.
There should be no dust in alpha level binoculars!

If you’re not happy with it my advice would be to take it back to the dealer.
I've done this before.

Sent three pairs back to Swarovski in the past..

I knew this would happen. I was goin ask Swarovski for a pre-inspection check before they sent them out but I took a chance..

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Tim

My advise is the same. Return it!

If you have not seen my thread so far, I sent my binoculars in for the same reason. But they were returned to me with more dust and and scratch on the lens.
What !

What the xxxx is happening with quality control in Absam...

The damn things should be inspected thoroughly before being sent out...

I've heard the same things from several other people...
Completely unacceptable in my opinion..

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

let's assume you meant an EL 10x42 SV... for a 10x42 SF it's too green and we're in the wrong forum...

If I am right about it being an EL 10x42 SV, I would either return it or if you can't, try the famous Swaro warranty...

Joachim

Hi,

let's assume you meant an EL 10x42 SV... for a 10x42 SF it's too green and we're in the wrong forum...

If I am right about it being an EL 10x42 SV, I would either return it or if you can't, try the famous Swaro warranty...

Joachim
Thanks for that ..

I meant FP...

Ie Field Pro... I must have been thinking of Zeiss.. I've edited it. Thanks for the heads up..

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for that ..

I meant FP...

Ie Field Pro... I must have been thinking of Zeiss.. I've edited it. Thanks for the heads up..

Cheers

Tim
Tim,
I agree, something is happening with QC at Swaro and sadly it's not nice. I have ordered an NL 8x42 directly from Swaro-Austria, straight from the horse's mouth, and got a sample with all kind of issues such as chipped paint on the bridge and focuser backlash. I blamed it on the pandemic and returned the binos to Swaro, and their CS needed almost 3 months to issue a refund....a serious retailer would refund the price in less than 3 days.
Peter

Tim,
I agree, something is happening with QC at Swaro and sadly it's not nice. I have ordered an NL 8x42 directly from Swaro-Austria, straight from the horse's mouth, and got a sample with all kind of issues such as chipped paint on the bridge and focuser backlash. I blamed it on the pandemic and returned the binos to Swaro, and their CS needed almost 3 months to issue a refund....a serious retailer would refund the price in less than 3 days.
Peter
What the hell is going on Peter...

I've messaged Dale Forbes.. He's a good guy.. Hopefully he can shine light on the QC disaster....

Cheers
Tim

What the hell is going on Peter...

I've messaged Dale Forbes.. He's a good guy.. Hopefully he can shine light on the QC disaster....

Cheers
Tim
That's a very good idea, Tim. I doubt he'll tell you anything about QC (my opinion is that they have/had some problems caused by the pandemic), but he can help you solve your problem. If he does not answer ping him again, sometimes he's too busy to answer promptly.

Hallo ticl2184,
you probably mean the bright dot.
i think it is dust behind the lenses.
i had that with an new SLC 8 to 42 too. Only with several dots and still dirt outside on the lenses. I sent it back. The new one is ok. The same with a SLC 15 to 56.
And my two NL 8 to 42 had loose rubber on the objectives.

In 2012 I bought the Swarovski EL-SV 8x32. Used it a lot in all kinds of circumstances. No glare ever (apologies to the glare reporters). In 2019 I organised a meeting of the binocular with a rock and Swarovski did not design it for that kind of occasions. So it was send via House of Outdoor to Swarovski for repair. I received it back as new: new bodycover, new eyecups, foccussing even more smoothly, optically even better then it was before. No costs involved. You can find the test results of that binocular in the test report about the NL pure 8x42 on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
If one wants to get an impression about the condition of new Swarovski binoculars: ask Jan van Daalen, he probably has sold a few hunderd samples in the course of time, so he will have some statistics.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hallo ticl2184,
you probably mean the bright dot.
i think it is dust behind the lenses.
i had that with an new SLC 8 to 42 too. Only with several dots and still dirt outside on the lenses. I sent it back. The new one is ok. The same with a SLC 15 to 56.
And my two NL 8 to 42 had loose rubber on the objectives.
I'm trying to get a better image of it. I think it's a slight blemish or scratch on the glass.

Loose rubber on the objectives ...!
Completly unacceptable. I hope the guys and girls and Swarovski are reading these comments...

Cheers
Tim

It’s not just swaro guys, I’ve been noticing slight imperfections on several brands. I think some has to do with COVID and certain people may be at home, maybe the usual procedures are not in place. Many of the current Swaro CS reps are working from home. But again, this isn’t exclusive to Swarovski.

Last edited:
Several things to question -
Covid has had a disastrous impact on every aspect of life and still continues but the "reps" are not the ones assembling the units from home are they?
Absam staff reading about the complaints on BF? Doubt it, perhaps very, very occassionally if a matter is brought to their attention but they still have an excellent track record overall and as someone quoted far too busy getting on with their work.
Agree that the blemish shouldnt be present and the unit not passed as fit for shopping out whatever caused it. I think as it was purchased directly through Swarovski Optik rather than a dealer, the UK head office will arrange pick up from a courier.
How can you state the binoculars are "fine" when there are reported faults with the rubber armouring and an objective lens, odd sentence, no?
They will meet the standard you expect. Good luck.

If you want a sob story..... a S*****g 10" tablet bought at full price 4 months ago just stopped working. So far, 23 telephone calls by me to various departments, some via a Phillipines based UK Phone Shop, many of which were uncomprehensible and suddenly terminated after being on hold, 2 failed " Doorstep fix at home " visits by their approved mobile technical contractors. 6 different people yesterday! Sales / accounts / technical / customer service x 3.
Courier not yet turned up though collection slot was 8am - 6pm.

Now that's p××s poor service.

Last edited:
I agree with the statement from Pat, there are also part shortages for automobiles/motorcycles also. Now, as the start up begins, some of these companies have lost personnel along the period from the virus impact. So I am wondering if production as well as service in these companies is going through this impact now because of the personnel issue.
Just blame it all on the f...d Fauci.

The white spot may be a bubble in the optical glass.

This used to be more common and was acceptable if the bubbles were small and few.

The amount of bubbles is part of each glass type specification.

I had a few new Hoya lenses of different focal lengths for Minolta that each had hundreds of bubbles in the glass.
Although the photos seemed O.K. I just couldn't use the lenses knowing how they were strewn with bubbles.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back