• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SDL v3 Eyepiece Now Shipping (1 Viewer)

pete_gamby

Birds? What Birds?!
We've updated and improved the flagship SDL eyepiece to give a wider field of view and an optical system specifically tailored to the MM series of scopes. It is, of course, backwards compatible with older Opticron scopes for those that want to upgrade.

The new optical design delivers an approximately 10% increase in field of view compared to the v2 eyepiece along with improved resolution and contrast.

Please check with your dealer for pricing and which eyepiece will be supplied if you order a scope package.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/eyepieces/sdl-eyepieces/41270-sdl-v3-zoom-eyepiece

And yes, SDL does still stand for Super Duper Lens :)

Given the current situation, we haven't been able to access other brands' products to test it I'm afraid.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete it would nice if it did. I think it would be the only weather proof zoom other than the Pentax that would fit the Pentax scopes. .
It's more expensive than the Pentax zoom, but the Pentax zoom is not very good.

Ron

Would be helpful if there were yd/1000yd or m/1000m FOV specs for Opticron eyepieces.

tfov in m/1000m = tfov in deg * 17.45

tfov in ft/1000y = tfov in deg * 52.5

But obviously the true field of view is sth which depends on the whole system of scope and eyepiece. The eyepiece only determines the apparent field of view in degrees. You get the true field of view by dividing that by the magnification with some scope body (roughly - for an exact calculation be prepared to do some maths). And then proceed as above...

PS: from geometry, I'd say that the afov at the high mag end is sth between 64 and 68 degrees, can't speak about low mag...

Joachim

Last edited:
tfov in m/1000m = tfov in deg * 17.45

tfov in ft/1000y = tfov in deg * 52.5

But obviously the true field of view is sth which depends on the whole system of scope and eyepiece. The eyepiece only determines the apparent field of view in degrees. You get the true field of view by dividing that by the magnification with some scope body (roughly - for an exact calculation be prepared to do some maths). And then proceed as above...

PS: from geometry, I'd say that the afov at the high mag end is sth between 64 and 68 degrees, can't speak about low mag...

Joachim

But it doesn't mention also AFOVs...:-C

Does the SDL V3 fit the 4114 photo adaptor? Opticron spec only mentions that it fits V1 & 2.

I found the answer if anyone is interested- the v3 eyepiece is 1mm wider than v2 which makes it 1/2mm too wide for the 4114 adaptor. I got myself a generic one from SRB which just fits. Good news is that the zoom is still accessible. On my M43 camera, there is an insane magnification available at the maximum zoom. The picture in the viewfinder looks good and my G80 knows what to do about ISO and shutter speed so, now to test it in the field.

Hi,

thanks for reporting back! And have fun with your digiscoping setup. What objective do you use on the camera - or none at all?

Joachim

Hi Joachim, I’m trying two options - the one I mentioned above just connects the eyepiece to the camera body. I have also acquired the 40215 telephoto adaptor which is a kind of lens that connects the scope directly to the camera. It has some glassware in it and is a less extreme telephoto; I haven’t looked it up exactly but I think it’s in the range of about 1200mm (35mm equivalent) on my Panasonic Micro Four Thirds body. This one gives a fixed focal length as the eyepiece is replaced by the device. I’ll report back once I’ve done some comparisons in the field, I’m just hoping the birds haven’t all vacated the nearby reserve.

Good news about the SDL v3. I'm planning on buying a MM4 60 angled scope, and mulling over the eyepiece. I currently use a SDL v2 with an old Kowa TSN-3, and am very pleased with it.

I've seen and heard comments that the SDL v2 was really designed for the larger scopes and that it is a bit heavy for the MM4 60 on a tripod (Velbon D600), and that the HDF was the better solution in terms of balance. Is this fair comment? Clearly the SDL v2 is optically better and also waterproof. What are people's experiences with this combo?

With the new SDL v3 being lighter and shorter, does this negate the above comments and make it the ideal eyepiece for the MM4 60?

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

since I also use an SDLv2 on a TSN-3 I would love to hear about your experiences with the v3 - if you get it... my fingers have been itching quite a bit...

Joachim

Last edited:
I had the SDLv2 and didn't really consider it to be oversized for the MM3/4 60, although the size ratio between eyepiece and scope was more than most birders are used to. Sold the SDL and the MM4 to a friend who was looking for a small travel scope. Kept the HDF and MM3. After trying the various combinations of eyepiece and scope, I really didn't see any difference between MM3 and MM4. In normal birding use I really couldn't tell any difference between the SDL and HDF. The SDL seemed to have a very slight more acuity when viewing Jupiter and Saturn, but no where enough to justify the price difference.

I may get the SDL v3 depending on the severity of future GAS flare-ups. (GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Good news about the SDL v3. I'm planning on buying a MM4 60 angled scope, and mulling over the eyepiece. I currently use a SDL v2 with an old Kowa TSN-3, and am very pleased with it.

I've seen and heard comments that the SDL v2 was really designed for the larger scopes and that it is a bit heavy for the MM4 60 on a tripod (Velbon D600), and that the HDF was the better solution in terms of balance. Is this fair comment? Clearly the SDL v2 is optically better and also waterproof. What are people's experiences with this combo?

With the new SDL v3 being lighter and shorter, does this negate the above comments and make it the ideal eyepiece for the MM4 60?

Thanks.

I have the SDL v2 on an MM4 50mm, and took it on a trip that went to the reaches of the high arctic, all the way down to the deserts of north africa.

I also have the near mythical 24x WW eyepiece, but that gets laid aside as I far and away prefer the zoom.

So no, the SDL V2 isn't 'too heavy' nor 'too big', it is just different - And in no way shape or form is it ever coming off my scope.

* No, I won't be getting the V3 anytime soon as its a little redundant to my needs.

I have the MM4 60 and SDLv2. Yes, the eyepiece looks a little oversized, but as Bill and Ratal have said, it works fine in practise, especially if you have a tripod head that allows you to slide the scope forwards to adjust the balance (I use the Sirui VA-5). If, like me, you don’t use a stay-on-case (the Opticron one is poorly designed), then the SDL is probably worth the extra money for the waterproofing. In fact, I generally only use the SDL when out in the rain, as I much prefer the fixed eyepieces (23x and the discontinued 32x).

I use the SDL v2 in my MM3 60 (1st Gen) and HR80. I find its performance great. Maybe it looks a little big on the MM360, however, eyepieces are not to look at but to look through. Are you sure you are using it correctly? :D

In any case, I agree that keeping the balance is a little challenging with both scopes, but I attribute that to my tripod adjustment mechanism rather than the scopes. I actually like the stay on cases, I use them in both scopes.

I have been considering a second eyepiece to avoid the need to change the current one from one scope to another, but the v3 is a bit costly vs a second hand v2, so its performance would have to be significantly better for me to consider going down that road.

Hello all, I bought my MM4 60 with the SDL v3 and I also tried it with the cheaper HDFT zoom in the shop and have also tried a fixed length 40809 HDF 28x Opticron eyepiece. I have to say I didn’t notice much difference in size or bulk except that the SDL v3 has a more substantial feel - for example, the eyecup adjustment is more positive and it is secured by a collar on the outer threads on the scope. Incidentally I saw no advantage to the fixed length eyepiece in terms of view - the SDL had an equally good view to my eyes at least up to the same magnification and indeed I find it perfectly sharp and usable up to the 45x it gives on this scope. I’m very pleased I coughed up the extra for this eyepiece over the HDFT, although it cost almost as much as the scope I’ve got a really nice setup for just over £700 new. In terms of balance I’ve got the Benro Wild 2 carbon tripod which has an Arca plate with some forward/aft adjustment and it seems to sit well balanced on my Benro tripod head.

Last edited:
Hello all, I bought my MM4 60 with the SDL v3 and I also tried it with the cheaper HDFT zoom in the shop and have also tried a fixed length 40809 HDF 28x Opticron eyepiece.

Just an FYI, the 40809 actually gives ~23x on the MM3/4 60mm, not 28x. It gives 28x on the 77mm version.

I have the newer version of this eyepiece (40831) and the SDL v2 zoom with my MM3 60 ED, and I also find I prefer the zoom and rarely use the fixed eyepiece. The fixed eyepiece has a wider AFOV than the zoom, but the magnification isn't high enough for my general use and I don't think it's any brighter or sharper than the excellent SDL zoom.

If I could find the "mythical" discontinued 40858, which gives closer to ~30x magnification on the 60mm, I would probably snag it and consider selling the SDL zoom. I think ~30x is a better general use fixed magnification for a non-zoom user, 23x just isn't quite enough for distant ducks and shorebirds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back