• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE China birds (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi, these are pictures from rural areas around Nanchang, Jiangxi - south China - in the last month. The first three are 2 different herons, which I wonder if they are black-crowned night herons, or something else. The next very blurry picture is a tern, perhaps whiskered tern? The last might be a prinia...

Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• heron 1.jpg
    heron 1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 36
  • heron 1b.jpg
    heron 1b.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 32
  • heron 2.jpg
    heron 2.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 37
  • tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 39
  • lbj1b.jpg
    lbj1b.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 29
Hi Gretchen

Pic 3 shows an immature Black-crowned Night Heron, but the first two are indeed Striated.

From these pics the most obvious differences are the colour of the eye and the skin in front of the eye - yellow on Striated - no bare skin and an orange eye on the Night Heron.

Cheers
Mike

Hi,

Thanks both! We were in a huge heronry yesterday and saw so many different birds. I had initially assumed all the ones with stripes were immature night herons, but we took more pictures in case. When I got home to the book, I wondered about striated heron. Thanks Mike for the good clues for telling them apart.

I don't know how I had not seen the whiskered terns here initially, but now see them from time to time, and good to have confirmed what they are.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back