• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea ducks (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Covid restrictions allowing I will be in Scotland in late august. I’ve never seen velvet scoter (or any rarer scoters) is that too early for them? And if not is there anywhere aside from Musselburgh where they are easily seen.

also I noticed today that Elvis is back at ythan Generally speaking Is he likely to still be there in late august

I would be surprised if Elvis is still around the Ythan in late August. It's harder to say where he will be, but Burghead Bay might be a good bet.

Velvet Scoters can be a bit unpredictable and I would say Musselburgh is probably the best place I know of for seeing them reliably and at fairly close range. Other good spots (particularly at that time of the year) would be Largo Bay, St Andrews Bay, Lunan Bay and Murcar/ Blackdog. There aren't many scoters at the latter site at the moment though.

Do you have anything against Musselburgh? It is really the best place to see Velvet Scoter in Scotland. August may be too early for Surf Scoter though! However, there is a good chance of Red-necked Grebe, there or at Gosford Bay.

David

Do you have anything against Musselburgh? It is really the best place to see Velvet Scoter in Scotland. August may be too early for Surf Scoter though! However, there is a good chance of Red-necked Grebe, there or at Gosford Bay.

David
I've never been David, on my list of places to go.

No I’d love to do Musselburgh. Had hotel booked there that got ruined by Covid. But I think the only way I could do it on this trip would be on the way home and adding several hours to my already long final drive. I am still considering doing that but a site further north would suit the trip more.

Covid restrictions allowing I will be in Scotland in late august. I’ve never seen velvet scoter (or any rarer scoters) is that too early for them? And if not is there anywhere aside from Musselburgh where they are easily seen.

also I noticed today that Elvis is back at ythan Generally speaking Is he likely to still be there in late august

Gullane Point at Aberlady is good for Common Scoter

No I’d love to do Musselburgh. Had hotel booked there that got ruined by Covid. But I think the only way I could do it on this trip would be on the way home and adding several hours to my already long final drive. I am still considering doing that but a site further north would suit the trip more.
Scotland isn’t that big, Musselburgh is an hour’s drive from Glasgow. To get from England to northern Scotland you will be within an hour’s drive from Mussie at some point.

David

Yeah, I could possibly do it on the way up rather than using the m6 all the way up. I'm starting from Rugby and finishing in Helensburgh on my first day but it doesn't have much birding planned so a detour might be doable.

Yeah, I could possibly do it on the way up rather than using the m6 all the way up. I'm starting from Rugby and finishing in Helensburgh on my first day but it doesn't have much birding planned so a detour might be doable.
Check the tide, at low tide the Scoters could be way out and rough sea can make getting good views awkward. Enjoy your trip!

David

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back