• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Otter vs Orca (1 Viewer)

Amazing. A quick thinking, smart Sea Otter there-deserved to live another day!

Would have loved to have been on that vessel for that close encounter with an Orca!

Flippin' 'eck. I think he just went for the nearest means of getting out of the water.

Mind you, he was lucky the boat wasn't running its engines.

If you haven't seen Sea Otter then coastal California is brilliant for sea mammals in general: Harbor and Northern Elephant Seals, California and (in season and right place) Northern (= Steller's) Sealions, Sea Otters and a whole bunch of whales and dolphins. Monterey Bay is a good place to start and Ano Nuevo also worth a visit not to mention Point Reyes, though I haven't visited the last myself - yet. Plan on doing a pelagic or two as well as looking from land.

John

Hi John. I was in Monterey but just passing through. 10 of us all out there for our 40th’s. Heading toward Vegas. Not much opportunity for wildlife watching. B :)

Rich

Hi John. I was in Monterey but just passing through. 10 of us all out there for our 40th’s. Heading toward Vegas. Not much opportunity for wildlife watching. B :)

Rich

Fine clam chowder at Fisherman's Wharf in Frisco is the only really memorable meal (from the point of view of food quality) in the fortnight we were in California. Knocked back a few Sierra Nevadas though! B :)

Cheers

John

Flippin' 'eck. I think he just went for the nearest means of getting out of the water.

Mind you, he was lucky the boat wasn't running its engines.

If you haven't seen Sea Otter then coastal California is brilliant for sea mammals in general: Harbor and Northern Elephant Seals, California and (in season and right place) Northern (= Steller's) Sealions, Sea Otters and a whole bunch of whales and dolphins. Monterey Bay is a good place to start and Ano Nuevo also worth a visit not to mention Point Reyes, though I haven't visited the last myself - yet. Plan on doing a pelagic or two as well as looking from land.

John

Were I that boatman, I might have been thinking, 'I hope the whale isn't so hungry as to flip my boat or even follow it onboard'...........!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back