• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabird colonies in Ireland: advice needed! (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,

I'm planning a 9-day trip to Ireland late this month. Reached a compromise with the wife and now I may squeeze a couple of birdwatching visits into my trip :king: ... I'll arrive in Shannon and I'll be visiting mainly the north-western coast (possibly a short tour south, maybe Dingle peninsula if have time).

I'd be quite interested in visiting some seabird colonies (coastal cliffs or islands) - most "exotic" for my standard ;) , so I'm trying to gather the most effective info available - I'll hire a car, so no transport problems ...

I look forward to receiving any relevant info from you (if, then, some of the most beautiful tourist sceneries are "casually" close to a fine bird sanctuary, much the better ... I can suddenly change my tour plan, just don't tell the wife |:x| :cool:) ...

Thank you very much in advance

Cheers,

Max

Last edited:
Hi GMAX,

I would really need to know exact locations to suggest suitable sites..but If landing in Shannon, the scenic tourist attraction of the Cliffs of Moher (Northwest county Clare) would have the biggest and most accessible seabird colony for you.

Regards

Owen

Hi GMAX,

I would really need to know exact locations to suggest suitable sites..but If landing in Shannon, the scenic tourist attraction of the Cliffs of Moher (Northwest county Clare) would have the biggest and most accessible seabird colony for you.

Regards

Owen

Hello Owen,
thanks for the quick reply. I'll be surely visiting the cliffs, so that's a good starting point.
I understand your requirements, but my tourist trip's design is not so well advanced, so I'm open to suggestions .. I'll probably be driving along the coast and I was just thinking of things like boat trips to seabird colonies on islands, or hiking trails on some peninsulas, nature reserves ...
I've heard of places like Puffin Island, Co. Kerry, or the Skelligs, but I wonder how difficult (and expensive) is to reach them ...

It's my first time birding in Ireland (although I've been there before), so even quite well known places are good enough for me - I'll bring along with me my 300mm lens, so I hope to have some close opportunities for some shots (the usual suspects are really all OK: puffins, gannets, skuas, terns, razorbills, fulmars, also eiders etc etc)

Cheers,

Max

Last edited:
Hi Gmax,

Well puffins, razorbills, guillemots and Black guillemots shouldnt be a problem.
Doorus pier and Traught beach in north clare should provide most of the terns (except Roseate and Little).

You may have to go very far north to get eider. There are some in mayo and Sligo, but Donegal is more of a sure thing.

Gannets are everywhere. Very easy to see.
Skuas require seawatching weather in most cases and you will need a telescope.
They are not a gurantee.

Regards

Owen

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back