• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Seafield to Kinghorn (1 Viewer)

Gander

During my forced three week hiatus away from the loch, I of course found changes when I returned yesterday. The most obvious change was the huge decrease in leaves on trees. On the bird front, things were a little quiet, but Tufted, Goldeneye and a Pochard were on the water, along with the regulars. A single juvenile Great Crested Grebe remains, and it has been joined by a fair few Little Grebe.
There was no sign of the Kingfisher that I saw before I left, but some good photos of it were taken by someone else when it appeared in front of the hide. Photos were also taken of a Water Rail that has moved into the scrub between the marsh and the loch, but there was work ongoing replacing the marsh wooden walkway when I arrived, so nothing was showing in that area due to the disturbance.
Winter thrush appear to have moved on, with only a single Redwing seen.
In regard to mammals, I found a Stoat that appeared out of, then disappeared into, the upturned roots of a large oak felled by last year's storms. A Grey Squirrel was also seen.

Gander

Arriving at Seafield late this morning, it was obvious that I was going to have an uncomfortable session. There was a cold, blustery wind pushing white horses straight into Seafield area. The skies above were dark and increasingly threatening. It was not long before I was thinking of retreating to the relative shelter of the loch area, but I decided to push on as my opportunities to cover the coastal strip this November, were going to be very few due to other commitments.
I started building a list that had nothing out of the ordinary on it, and a fair bit of the ordinary missing from it. There was very little in the scrub, or at least very little showing, and it took over an hour to find a Robin. Very strangely, no House Sparrows were seen. It seemed that my highlight was going to be the single Rock Pipit found at the tower; the first I have found this winter.
I went as far as the stone dyke before turning back. Approaching the car park, my eye was drawn by a westwards heading Red-throated Diver, and then by a couple of black specks in the surf. With binoculars focused in, I found myself looking at a lifer. Two long sought after Little Auk were surfing in the waves, and were soon joined by a third bird.
So, once again, a bleak, seemingly unproductive session at Seafield, was turned on its head, in the blink of an eye, to become a memorable occasion, with the patch master list now registering its 160th species.

160. Little Auk

Attachments

• DSCN6271.jpg
    DSCN6271.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6278.jpg
    DSCN6278.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6280.jpg
    DSCN6280.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 12

Gander

During the week, I have seen single Little Auk on a couple of occasions. There have been reports of them up and down the Firth of Forth, so we must have had a substantial influx. Red-Throated Diver have also been noted, along with Common Scoter, and good numbers of Long-tailed Duck.
It is looking like a poor year for Rock Pipit. I've seen a single bird on two occasions; possibly the same bird. Usually, we have at least half a dozen or so making their presence known.

We have also been seeing Grey Seal pups turning up on the shoreline, as it is that time of year.

Yesterday, a male Kingfisher was found on the rocks south of the harbour.

At the loch, a male Pochard has been present, along with the more usual Tufted and Goldeneye ducks. The winter thrush have largely passed on, with only a single Redwing seen. A Siskin was seen at a loch side Alder, and a Kestrel gave good views near the allotments. On the other side of the main road, three Red-legged Partridge were again seen.

Attachments

• DSCN6527.jpg
    DSCN6527.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN6460.jpg
    DSCN6460.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN6443.jpg
    DSCN6443.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN6434.jpg
    DSCN6434.jpg