• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (6 Viewers)

So, the Seafield list for 2020 is as follows. 94 species observed, and considering I lost a couple of months in the spring to lockdown, I'll settle for that.
My bird of the year at Seafield is a difficult choice between Lesser Whitethroat, Grasshopper Warbler and Tree pipit. The Grasshopper Warbler is probably the rarest, but it took no effort, as it just hopped out in front of me. Both the L.Whitethroat and the T.Pipit took a bit of hunting down. So, with having found two of them on the patch, my Seafield bird of 2020 goes to Lesser Whitethroat.

And the list is...
Arctic Tern
Bar-tailed Godwit
Black-headed Gull
Black-tailed Godwit
Blackbird
Blackcap
Blue Tit
Bullfinch
Buzzard
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Coal Tit
Collared Dove
Common Gull
Common Sandpiper
Common Scoter
Common Tern
Cormorant
Curlew
Dunlin
Dunnock
Eider
Fulmar
Gannet
Goldcrest
Goldeneye
Goldfinch
Goosander
Grasshopper Warbler
Great Black-backed Gull
Great Crested Grebe
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
Grey Wagtail
Greylag Goose
Guillemot
Herring Gull
House Martin
House Sparrow
Jackdaw
Kestrel
Kingfisher
Kittiwake
Knot
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Lesser Whitethroat
Linnet
Long-tailed Duck
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Mute Swan
Oystercatcher
Peregrine
Pheasant
plus.png
Pied/White Wagtail
Pink-footed Goose
Puffin
Purple Sandpiper
Razorbill
Red-breasted Merganser
Red-throated Diver
Redshank
Redwing
Reed Bunting
Ringed Plover
Robin
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon
Rock Pipit
Sand Martin
Sandwich Tern
Sedge Warbler
Shag
Skylark
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Starling
Stonechat
Swallow
Swift
Tree Pipit
Tree Sparrow
Turnstone
Velvet Scoter
Wheatear
Whitethroat
Willow Warbler
Woodpigeon
Wren
Yellowhammer

On Sunday afternoon, I headed for the loch. I knew it was going to be busy, but my intentions were to use the time to explore some of the countryside out the back of the patch. It was busy at the loch, and the lack of Goldeneye and Tufted reflected that. Reaching the Troll Bridge, I headed out of patch up the Rodanbraes path. This path runs along side the rough pasture field I can see most of from the patch. It was heavy going heading up the slope through the churned up mud of the path.
Reaching the ruined cottages, where the path turned sharp left, I continued to follow it. The mud got worse as I skirted a ploughed field, then underfoot conditions improved as the path headed over the top of the hill towards the Binn Hill, crossing rough pasture. The habitat up there looked ideal for owls. Lots of rough grassland skirted by both deciduous and coniferous woodland. The temptation was to extend the boundary of the patch, but I knew I had gone too far for this to be workable.
Approaching the TV mast that looks down at Pettycur Bay, I turned back, and retraced my steps to the ruined cottages. Up the side of the cottages, there was an overgrown track between stone walls. I followed it up a short distance into a patch of young Beech woodland, before emerging on the edge of another arable field. Away to my right, I found I was looking across to a farm over a small grassy trough between hilltops. This point also marks the top of the field that runs up from the patch. The whole area screamed Barn Owl to me. The farm even had a semi-derelict barn looking out over the pasture.

I decided that a small extension to the original boundary was called for, and easily workable, so that has now been carried out. Hopefully future visits will be productive.

Attachments

• DSCN8858.jpg
    DSCN8858.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN8859.jpg
    DSCN8859.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Monday found me back at Seafield. I headed a little further towards Kinghorn this time, but it was still very quiet as far as birds are concerned.

Just before I turned to head back to the car, I ran into Cuckoo-shrike (Andy). He filled me in on a few things that I had missed while away at the beginning of January. This included a temporary big influx of wildfowl at the loch, when some of the smaller waters in the area froze over. I'd picked this up on Birdtrack, but missed that Teal were present. A duck that I still need to personally tick there. Andy also informed me that an Otter had recently been seen close to where we were standing. I wonder if it was the carp muncher from the loch.

Tuesday was an early morning loch visit. I continue to hunt diligently for Siskin. They continue to diligently evade me.

Bird activity has slowed down a bit at the loch, but there is always something of interest. A few Goldeneye and Tufted were back on the water. Also, our resident mother Swan (LYU) was still there, but her juveniles have gone up to a count of five. No sign of the adult male yet.

Up past the cottage, I found a nice Grey Wagtail in the cow pasture. Skylark were again evident up there. Down at the access road to the Ecology Centre, Redwing and Fieldfare were still evident. A Sparrowhawk flew over, and Bullfinch were busy picking early buds off twigs. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was also present.

Attachments

• DSCN8902.jpg
    DSCN8902.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm still trying to catch up with updating my lists, so here is my personal loch list for 2020. 72 species (not including the Domesticated Greylags). A good start in a difficult year.

My bird of the year for the loch. Close between Dipper, Waxwing, Ring-Necked Duck and Spotted Flycatcher, but I'm going to give it to the Ring-Necked Duck.

Black-headed Gull
Blackbird
Blackcap
Blue Tit
Bullfinch
Buzzard
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Coal Tit
Common Gull
Coot
Cormorant
Curlew
Dipper
Dunnock
Fieldfare
Goldcrest
Goldeneye
Goldfinch
Great Black-backed Gull
Great Crested Grebe
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
Grey Wagtail
plus.png
[Greylag Goose]
Herring Gull
House Martin
Jackdaw
Kingfisher
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Linnet
Little Grebe
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Mallard
Mediterranean Gull
Mistle Thrush
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Pheasant
plus.png
Pied/White Wagtail
Pink-footed Goose
Pochard
Redwing
Reed Bunting
Ring-necked Duck
Robin
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon
Rook
Sand Martin
Sedge Warbler
Skylark
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Spotted Flycatcher
Starling
Swallow
Swift
Tawny Owl
Tree Sparrow
Treecreeper
Tufted Duck
Water Rail
Waxwing
Whitethroat
Willow Warbler
Woodpigeon
Wren
Yellowhammer

It was cold, windy and wet. The sort of day that you have to force yourself out the door on. I could have stayed at home, happily updating the patch master list, but after another morning of home schooling, a numbing wind, with the potential for frost bite, seemed a low price to pay for a little separation from my offspring.

I really should have headed to the relative cover of the loch area, but for some reason that now escapes me, I decided on the coastal strip instead. I was soon walking the path south from the main car park.

Initially, it looked like it was going to be another low species count day, however, at the harbour, I spotted a first for my year. In fact the pair of Red-Breasted Merganser were a personal first for this season. Buoyed by this early success, I pressed on, and soon found another first for my year, as two Ringed Plover scampered across the wet sands.

Then, just to add a cherry to the session, a Kingfisher, again a first for the year, flashed by.

I pushed on, warmed by the inward glow of success. Reaching the stone dyke, I found that the inward warmth of success is no protection against the icy chill factor of a strong scottish wind blowing off the snow topped hills. I turned and headed back down the hill into the relative shelter I'd just left. Passing, the tower, I kept a keen eye out for the Kingfisher, knowing that the ridges of rock that run parallel to the shore line, are a favoured vantage point for my brightly coloured fish hunter. Approaching the harbour, I did indeed find my target, sitting in a nook on a barnacle covered rock.

Only a short visit, but a productive one.

Attachments

• DSCN8950.jpg
    DSCN8950.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 11
Friday morning I was at the loch before sun up. There was a significant flock of Tufted Duck; their number approaching 100. There was not much else that you would not expect, and very little of that.

I headed up to my new vantage point, finding it knee deep in snow and lacking any birdlife, so I headed back down to the allotments, then up to the covered reservoirs. With nothing much showing, I decided to cut a corner by crossing the big upper stubble field. As I did, I flushed a flock of very flighty finch/bunting type birds. Probably Linnet, but possibly Reed Bunting or a mixture. A few Skylark also rose at time as I made my way.

This afternoon I took my son along. There were hardly any duck on the water, but the canoeists were out in force, making an unworldly noise as there vessels were forced through the thin sheet of ice that covered large sections of the water.

At the mill stream, IU checked for Dipper, but instead found a female Mallard in distress. Its left wing was in disarray, and it had lost quite a few feathers from it. I suspect something had got hold of it. Probably a dog, maybe a fox. This of course gave me a dilemma as to what to do with the casualty. I was not equipped for catching, and it was sitting on the edge of the icy stream, surrounded by thicket.

I moved on, but was still considering my options.

We headed up through the woodland, then up to the reservoirs. There were tractors spreading fertiliser on the stubble field, so we stuck to the lane. Heading down the Kissing Trees lane, we were overtaken by an SRSPCA van. If I'd seen it before it overtook me, I'd have flagged it down, but it was gone.

Reaching the gate at the head of the Ecology Centre access road, we found the RSPCA van parked up. Heading down the lane we came across the young officer heading back to the van. I enquired if she was there for the mallard, and it turned out that was the case, but had given up as she was unable to locate it, or anyone who knew where it was. I of course took her to the bird, borrowed her net and after a bit of a palaver in the scrub, managed to catch the bird and hand it over.

All in all, a good outcome.

A mid-morning visit to Seafield produced a scarce visitor. Only the second time I've seen a Brent on the strip, and the first time was a fly-by.

Attachments

• Brent.jpg
    Brent.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 4
Mmmm.... I love Brent Geese Paul, such dapper guys, aren't they.

Well done catching the Mallard, I hope they let you know how it gets on, but it doesn't sound too good, does it.

I'd be quite hopeful for the Mallard. There were no open wounds or obvious bone breaks. It had just lost a bunch of feathers on one wing.

The Brent is a nice surprise.

Oh that's good Paul, I thought it sounded a bit mangled from your description LOL.

A mid-morning visit to Seafield produced a scarce visitor. Only the second time I've seen a Brent on the strip, and the first time was a fly-by.
Hi, the Brent was still there late afternoon, although disturbed by someone letting their dog chase the birds on the shoreline. This was the first visit of what will be many to Seafield since we moved to Fife in December. I won't add a list of our birds seen, but two other highlights stand out for us, a Kingfisher patiently fishing in the pools and a group of 4 male Long-tailed Duck off shore.

We are not going too far from home for our birding exercise we care just lucky here that there are so many places to walk where we can bird as well.

Ring-Necked Duck was back at the loch this morning. I also caught up with my first Pochard of the year.

Attachments

• RND.jpg
    RND.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes, welcome to Scotland Tom. I trust the move went seamlessly?

Thanks the move was OK, the small question of a pandemic didn't help though!
We are still exploring the area as best we can under the circumstances, however I do have a question, if anyone can help.
Is there somewhere in Fife that is reliable for Crossbills? Although we have seen them before (once!), they have always been an elusive species for us, so any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Thanks the move was OK, the small question of a pandemic didn't help though!
We are still exploring the area as best we can under the circumstances, however I do have a question, if anyone can help.
Is there somewhere in Fife that is reliable for Crossbills? Although we have seen them before (once!), they have always been an elusive species for us, so any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,

Welcome to Fife.
Only place I've seen crossbills in Fife was in Devilla Forest, which is just in Fife. Only on one occasion though.
I understand they have been seen in Blairadam Forest near Kelty too.
Always a treat to see them.

JSP

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Fife.
Only place I've seen crossbills in Fife was in Devilla Forest, which is just in Fife. Only on one occasion though.
I understand they have been seen in Blairadam Forest near Kelty too.
Always a treat to see them.

JSP
Thanks, Blairadam is on our list for a regular place to visit, been once so far. It was very quiet bird wise first time, but a great walk nonetheless.

As Stonefaction has informed you, Tentsmuir is good for Crossbill. I've seen them quite often in the Morton Lochs area at the edge of the forest.

Closer to where you are though; the west end of Lochore Meadows is a known spot for them.

Thanks for your responses regarding the Crossbills, hopefully we will put that to good use.
Cheers

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back