• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (3 Viewers)

A couple of birds to add to the loch species list. Early last month, a Greenshank was seen by a reliable source. Also from the same source's eBird list, I have been able to add Kittiwake from a sighting earlier in the year.

99. Greenshank*
100. Kittiwake*

Also, a notable spot earlier this month by Cuckoo-shrike, who found a visiting Gadwall. Already on the list, but a scarce bird at the loch.

And August's biodiversity report by Dr Robert Mill has been published.

Last edited:
Very quiet over the weekend in all areas of the patch. A single Wheatear at Seafield, and a couple of lingering Sandwich Terns were the high notes.

This morning, I started at Seafield, and picked up a Chiffchaff before I left the car park. Tree Sparrows were seen on the way to the tower. There was nothing much else of note though. I think yesterday's heavy rain and a definite drop in air temperature today, seems to have put the dampeners on things.

Moving on to the loch, there was a bit more activity, especially up on the hill tops, where there were good numbers of Pied Wagtail, Linnet and Goldfinch, along with Yellowhammer and Skylark. There were plenty of small birds moving south overhead, but they were beyond my ID range. One bird that I did ID though was a Snipe. I think I may have flushed it as I made my way around the now stubble field behind the higher covered reservoir. I heard it close by at first, then picked it up zig zagging away over the fields. A personal patch tick for me, so very welcome.

I believe this hilltop is highly under-rated for birding. For the last couple of years now, I have witnessed a constant stream of birds passing overhead at this time of year. Kinghorn is where there is the first significant narrowing of the Forth estuary as you move west, plus you also have Inchkeith as an enticing stepping stone. I think someone who knew what they were doing with vis-mig, would have a good time up there!

I had been struggling with a heavy cold since the weekend, when Tuesday's ill advised outing finished me off. Wednesday, I do not have much recollection of, and Thursday was uncomfortable, but with signs of recovery. This morning, I waited till late, but decided I was well enough to manage a wander at both Seafield and the loch areas. It was blustery and cool at Seafield, with not a lot of birds about, but I pushed on.

Not much in the way of winter birds evident. Even last week's Rock Pipits had seemingly moved on. And no sign of Purple Sandpiper yet. In fact, I seemed to be a bit light on waders in general. I reached the benches above the lime kiln, where I made the tactical error of sitting down for a few minutes. Starting back along the path, the wheels started to come off a little, as energy levels took a sudden plunge. Passing the tower, I was still going through the motions of stopping every now and again to scan for birds, but really, I just wanted to get to the car.

In my mind, the session was already over, but about halfway between the tower and the harbour, a palish looking bird was spotted scuttling along a sand bar. Obviously not a Redshank for sure; I had a good idea straight away that this bird was one I have been expecting for a few years now. I grabbed the camera out of its bag, and starting snapping away, but I need not have rushed, as the bird was well settled, pulling worms out of the sand. I drew abreast of the target without leaving the path, and managed to get a few clear shots, then crept away, leaving it to its feeding session.

It is amazing that the sighting of a good bird produces recuperative powers. All thoughts of dying in my boots had left me at the sight of a single Grey Plover.

That said, I did decide to forego my plans to head straight to the loch.

Attachments

• Grey Plover rsz.jpg
    Grey Plover rsz.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 8
Aaaaw!!! Sorry to hear you've been poorly Paul.

There's nothing like a good bird to restore your spirits though is there.

When I went to number the Grey Plover, I found that my species numbering has gone pear shaped (no shock there). I was not intending to post the updated master list until the end of the year, but as I've been prompted into doing a full review, I will post it now. Grey Plover was actually species number 150 for the whole patch; that is Seafield to Kinghorn, including the loch area. I had been thinking of reverting to just a single list, however, the loch list is still useful for the Kinghorn Loch Wildlife Group, so I will continue to maintain it alongside the master list.

As you might remember, I, with the help of the Fife Bird Atlas, the Fife Bird News, Birdtrack, and records forwarded to me by Cuckoo-shrike, updated the loch list with confirmed historical records. It took quite a bit of research, which is probably why I have not yet got around to carrying out the same process for the Seafield end of the patch. However, I do have well documented records of both King Eider (a female) and Black Redstarts at Seafield, so in advance of a full review of historical records, I have added these two, to the master list.

King Eider will be exceptionally hard to repeat, but I have high hopes of Black Redstart in the future.

So, to the list.......

1. Mute Swan
  2. Whooper Swan
  3. Pink-Footed Goose
  4. Greylag Goose
  5. Canada Goose
  6. Barnacle Goose
  7. Brent Goose
  8. Shelduck*
  9. Wigeon
  10. Gadwall*
  11. Teal
  12. Mallard
  13. Shoveler*
  14. Pochard
  15. Ring-Necked Duck
  16. Tufted Duck
  17. Scaup*
  18. Eider
  19. King Eider*
  20. Long-Tailed Duck
  21. Common Scoter
  22. Velvet Scoter
  23. Goldeneye
  24. Red-Breasted Merganser
  25. Goosander
  26. Grey Partridge
  27. Pheasant
  28. Red-throated Diver
  29. Black-Throated Diver*
  30. Great Northern Diver*
  31. Fulmar
  32. Manx Shearwater*
  33. Gannet
  34. Cormorant
  35. Shag
  36. Grey Heron
  37. Little Grebe
  38. Great-Crested Grebe
  39. Red-Necked Grebe*
  40. Goshawk*
  41. Sparrowhawk
  42. Buzzard
  43. Water Rail
  44. Moorhen
  45. Coot
  46. Oystercatcher
  47. Grey Plover
  48. Golden Plover
  49. Ringed Plover
  50. Lapwing
  51. Whimbrel
  52. Curlew
  53. Black-Tailed Godwit
  54. Bar-Tailed Godwit
  55. Turnstone
  56. Knot
  57. Ruff
  58. Sanderling
  59. Dunlin
  60. Purple Sandpiper
  61. Common Sandpiper
  62. Greenshank
  63. Redshank
  64. Woodcock*
  65. Snipe
  66. Pomarine Skua*
  67. Arctic Skua*
  68. Puffin
  69. Razorbill
  70. Common Guillemot
  71. Sandwich Tern
  72. Common Tern
  73. Arctic Tern
  74. Kittiwake
  75. Black-Headed Gull
  76. Little Gull*
  77. Mediterranean Gull
  78. Common Gull
  79. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
  80. Herring Gull
  81. Great Black-Backed Gull
  82. Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon
  83. Stock Dove
  84. Wood Pigeon
  85. Collared Dove
  86. Barn Owl*
  87. Tawny Owl*
  88. Long-eared Owl*
  89. Short-eared Owl*
  90. Swift
  91. Kingfisher
  92. Great Spotted Woodpecker
  93. Kestrel
  94. Hobby*
  95. Peregrine
  96. Magpie
  97. Jay
  98. Jackdaw
  99. Rook
  100. Carrion Crow
  101. Raven*
  102. Goldcrest
  103. Blue Tit
  104. Great Tit
  105. Coal Tit
  106. Skylark
  107. Sand Martin
  108. Swallow
  109. House Martin
  110. Long-Tailed Tit
  111. Chiffchaff
  112. Willow Warbler
  113. Blackcap
  114. Garden Warbler
  115. Lesser Whitethroat
  116. Whitethroat
  117. Grasshopper Warbler
  118. Sedge Warbler
  119. Waxwing
  120. Treecreeper
  121. Wren
  122. Starling
  123. Dipper
  124. Blackbird
  125. Fieldfare
  126. Song Thrush
  127. Redwing
  128. Mistle Thrush
  129. Spotted Flycatcher
  130. Robin
  131. Black Redstart*
  132. Whinchat
  133. Stonechat
  134. Wheatear
  135. Dunnock
  136. House Sparrow
  137. Tree Sparrow
  138. Grey Wagtail
  139. Pied Wagtail
  140. Tree Pipit
  141. Meadow Pipit
  142. Rock Pipit
  143. Chaffinch
  144. Bullfinch
  145. Greenfinch
  146. Linnet
  147. Lesser Redpoll*
  148. Crossbill*
  149. Goldfinch
  150. Siskin*
  151. Yellowhammer
  152. Reed Bunting
* Species not seen by author

I was speaking with Ron and Marilyn Edwards, who run the Craigencalt Trust, on Sunday. During our conversation, two very interesting things came up. The first is that the planning permission for 200+ houses on Mid-Mire (The large arable field just to the east of the loch), has been refused by the council. It is expected to go to appeal, then higher again, but at least the first battle has been won. Two hundred houses next to loch would bring a huge amount of extra footfall into an area that is already suffering badly from human encroachment. To be brutally honest, I think it would be the end of any pretence that the loch is a wildlife reserve.

The second thing of huge interest to me, was when talking about birds, specifically birds that appear on the hilltop above their cottage, was that some years ago, before my time there, a Hen Harrier was present, and seen by many bird watchers that flocked there when the report went out. I think I may have heard a rumour that there had been a HH in the area, but have not been able to validate it previously. Based on this eye witness account, I am happy to add the historical record of Hen Harrier to the patch list. Just need to find one myself now!

153 (101). Hen Harrier*

The Grey Plover was still present yesterday. A few lingering Sandwich Terns were noticeable. And new in were a handful of Purple Sandpiper. That is, “new in“ to me. I notice on Birdtrack that both the Grey Plover and the Purple Sandpiper were reported by a frequent visitor to the patch, in the last couple of days in September. The birder in question also had a Kingfisher.

At the tower, I found a Rock Pipit with a metal ring, but frustratingly, I could not get a clear, focused shot of the inscription.

I had a day away at the Eden Estuary today. Surprised to find the centre is still locked up. I made do in the shelter, but quite a few others turned up then turned around.

Anyway, on my homeward journey, I dropped into Seafield. I was hoping to get another go at the ringed Rock Pipit, but the pipits were up on the tower, so no chance of a shot of the ring. Couple of birds of note though. A Wheatear seen on the north end of the sea wall, and a Red-throated Diver, my first for a while, north of the tower.

Still seeing butterflies, with Red Admiral being the mainstay.

Attachments

• RTDIVER.jpg
    RTDIVER.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Admiral and Bee.jpg
    Admiral and Bee.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 8
I went looking for the ringed Ripit again this afternoon. I did not find it, but did find the Grey Plover again.....and it had a friend with it!

Attachments

• DSCN0641.jpg
    DSCN0641.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 14
  • GrPlv.jpg
    GrPlv.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 14
Finally managed to do a small walk along Seafield yesterday afternoon after running some errands in Kirkcaldy. We only went just past the tower and the tide was high but there were good numbers of Redshank, Turnstone and Purple Sandpipers on the remnants of the old wall.
Lots of Cormorants and one or two Shag, plus a few Razorbills, Guillemot and a single Red throated Diver. All the usual Gulls were about, plus one Common gull among a large group of Black headed.

The best though was our first Long tailed Duck of the winter ( Or is it still Autumn, feels like winter today!) some distance out.

Not much about in the bushes just Starlings and Sparrows.

Finally managed to do a small walk along Seafield yesterday afternoon after running some errands in Kirkcaldy. We only went just past the tower and the tide was high but there were good numbers of Redshank, Turnstone and Purple Sandpipers on the remnants of the old wall.
Lots of Cormorants and one or two Shag, plus a few Razorbills, Guillemot and a single Red throated Diver. All the usual Gulls were about, plus one Common gull among a large group of Black headed.

The best though was our first Long tailed Duck of the winter ( Or is it still Autumn, feels like winter today!) some distance out.

Not much about in the bushes just Starlings and Sparrows.
Certainly feels like winter where I am. L-T Ducks are a definite sign of winter. For me R-B Merganser is the final step out of autumn

It has been a relatively quiet week at both coast and loch. At Seafield, there has not been a lot of activity. Sadly, the Grey Plover appear to have moved on, but the Purple Sandpipers are now well ensconced, and Long-tailed Duck are evident at distance. Probably, the star of the show has been a wintering Grey Wagtail, but today I also had three Goldeneye drifting North past the tower, and when leaving the car park, a Kestrel was seen hunting over the grassy section behind the tarmac.

At the loch, it has been surprisingly quiet. Until today, there has been no sign of winter thrush. Then in a five minute spell, I had a couple of Mistle Thrush pass over head, and a Redwing was found perched high in a conifer. The main winter arrivals have been Goldeneye, with approaching thirty counted yesterday, along with a smaller group of Tufted Duck.

I have also been informed by one of the staff at the ecology centre, that up to four Jay have been seen in the woods.

Attachments

• DSCN0819.jpg
    DSCN0819.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0892.jpg
    DSCN0892.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0798.jpg
    DSCN0798.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0907.jpg
    DSCN0907.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0782.jpg
    DSCN0782.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 5
More Goldeneye this morning, with 16 counted. I spent a little time in the hide, which is not like me, as I prefer to be on the move. It paid off though as two Water Rail appeared scuttling about in the undergrowth. It was only a brief encounter before they flew back towards the road side of the loch.
Up on the hillside above the allotments, a small bird had a narrow escape, diving into a Hawthorn before a pursuing Sparrowhawk could get a grip of it.

My weekend was a total write off, as my son tested positive for Covid. He is not very ill with it, just cold type symptoms, but the whole family has had to self isolate until we got PCR tests. I got the all clear yesterday, so as I am double jabbed, I am allowed out and about again. I am not totally comfortable with that, so I am avoiding people and enclosed spaces (hides) as an extra precaution.

Soon after getting the all clear, I was arriving at Seafield. It was quite warm in the brilliant sunshine, and felt more like a spring day than a winter one. The birds I found though were definitely of winter type. First came a distant male Red-breasted Merganser. My first of the season. Then on the rocks between the harbour and the tower, I found a couple of waders that are fairly scarce along the strip.

First was a Sanderling, that looked too big to be a Sanderling, but I think the impression came from it being highlighted by a dark background, and having it sat there puffed up. Usually when I see them, they are scuttling along the tide line, looking sleek.

The second visiting wader was a Knot. Took me an age to work out what it was, because originally I could not see its legs, and it had its head tucked under its wing. Eventually it changed position, and my ID suspicions were confirmed.

While on the patch, I bumped into someone who was doing a Shag survey for the Isle of May. I used to send in my ring readings, but rarely got a response, so assumed that because I am within sight of the Isle, that my records were of no value, and therefore stopped recording a few years ago. The surveyor has convinced me otherwise, and assured me that they have improved their response to records sent in to them. As such, I have committed to resuming recording and submitting records again.

Today, a quick visit to the loch in cold, blustery conditions. Sadly, one of this year's crop of cygnets met a gruesome end in the boat sheds car park, when it was run over by a hit and run driver. The driver may just have been a walker, or I suppose even a birder, but the increased traffic in this area, caused by increased water sport means this type of incident comes as no surprise.

Most of the birds seemed to have their heads down given the conditions, but there were still eight Goldeneye on the water, and between the loch and the marsh, I relocated one of the Water Rail. Those little fellows are pretty fast across the ground. I hope they are fast enough, as a Stoat has recently been photographed in the area.

A definite lack of winter thrush this year. I also note that the Rowan berry crop was vastly reduced on last year's produce, so possibly a connection there. Plenty of Hawthorn sloes though. They don't seem to vary as much as the Rowan.

Attachments

• Sanderling.jpg
    Sanderling.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Knot.jpg
    Knot.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 6
  • XIE.jpg
    XIE.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I made a quick visit to the harbour area this afternoon at high tide. My intention was to grab a few shots of ringed Shag, however, the light was dismal, and there was only one ringed Shag that showed its darvic.
I made a quick check of the wader flocks gathered on the few remaining rocks showing above water, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I did find a female Common Scoter though. I first saw this bird, assuming it is the same one, off the tower a few days ago. Today it was paddling about the harbour area. I have never had a Scoter that close in here, so worthy of note.
Also spotted between the harbour and tower was a personal first for the Seafield strip. A stray Little Grebe was seen fishing close in.

Attachments

• DSCN1223.jpg
    DSCN1223.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1249.jpg
    DSCN1249.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 14
It has been a tough week's birding along the Seafield strip and at the loch, but there is always enough about to make it interesting. Weather has been predominantly very wet and gloomy, so that has not helped.

Starting with the strip, there has been nothing out of the ordinary, apart from one notable exception. That exception was a Puffin seen today. I had heard from a coastal rower that he had been seeing Puffin out on the Forth, so I was not totally surprised, but seems strange to me that they are still here at this time of year. A little worrying too, as I also found a dead one at the side of the path. The first dead Puffin I've ever seen here.

Outside of the Puffin, there has been little of note. In fact, if anything, I am missing quite a few species, with Chaffinch being the only representative of the finch clan, no over-wintering Kingfisher, and no Godwits (they were here in the Autumn, but did not stick around). Last winter's Stonechats are also a distant memory.

Out on the Forth, there are good numbers of Long-Tailed Duck and Red-breasted Merganser are present. A single male Goldeneye was seen. This morning, a diver flew by. I believe it to be Red-throated, but please correct me if I'm wrong (see photo). There has also been a winter visitor present that I have not witnessed. A Hump-backed Whale has again been seen from the strip.

At the loch, it has been very quiet. Wintering duck, mainly Tufted have built up to a flock of thirty plus over the Christmas period. About half a dozen Goldeneye also present. A Kestrel was found hunting over the grassy patch at the top of the woodland rise path. Kestrel also spotted a couple of times at the strip, along with a Sparrowhawk.

Good numbers of Bullfinch and Yellowhammer noted, but very little in the way of winter thrush. That said, this seems to have been a bumper season for Blackbird at both loch and strip.

And lastly, I managed to reacquaint myself with a Water Rail, although I had to use a thermal imager (Christmas prezzie) to do it. The imager also helped me to locate a Brown Hare up on the cow pastures.

Attachments

• DSCN1421.jpg
    DSCN1421.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1387.jpg
    DSCN1387.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1378.jpg
    DSCN1378.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1402.jpg
    DSCN1402.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 10
I made a quick visit to the harbour area this afternoon at high tide. My intention was to grab a few shots of ringed Shag, however, the light was dismal, and there was only one ringed Shag that showed its darvic.
I made a quick check of the wader flocks gathered on the few remaining rocks showing above water, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I did find a female Common Scoter though. I first saw this bird, assuming it is the same one, off the tower a few days ago. Today it was paddling about the harbour area. I have never had a Scoter that close in here, so worthy of note.
Also spotted between the harbour and tower was a personal first for the Seafield strip. A stray Little Grebe was seen fishing close in.
Do you have any more photos of the grebe? It looks like a red-necked to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back