• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching 2014 (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Since I started the 2013 thread, thought it time for a new one for this year. I hope to be around the coasts a bit more this year.

Had a quick look at the pressure chart this morning, the High looks like its going to extend a long way south into the subtropics off W Africa, be nice if a few southern spp wander through it into British and Irish waters.

Tufted Puffin photographed off the NE coast of the US recently, picture here http://blog.aba.org/2014/06/rare-bird-alert-june-20-2014.html , about the fifth for the Atlantic Ocean. If that didn't whet the appetite for seawatching I notice the sea temperatures around Ireland at the moment appear to nearly four degrees (cant find the symbol for degrees on my keyboard, and its actually 3.5 degrees but I don't want to start a pun loaded discussion on The Three Degrees) above normal. Roll on the wet and windy weather.

Paul

I notice the sea temperatures around Ireland at the moment appear to nearly four degrees (cant find the symbol for degrees on my keyboard, and its actually 3.5 degrees but I don't want to start a pun loaded discussion on The Three Degrees) above normal. Roll on the wet and windy weather.

Paul

Are you insane? We´ve only just started swimming! Seawatching can wait a few weeks!;)

Worth keeping an eye on. There's a low predicted to move up the N American coast before quickly crossing the Atlantic from Newfoundland, looks great for the Bridges, and be nice if it dropped some early waders on B & I. However, as you say, it's still too early to say how it'll pan out, and i've seen a few of these fizzle out, but you never know.. :t:

I love the noise of the seaagulls and the sea generally even when the weather is bad ...rainy or cold ... it is just a specail atmosphere there, very touching an poetic althoug the birds seem so lonely sometimes ... maybe this is a bit sentimental but thats me ...

M dP

Little Gull lifer for me yesterday off Findhorn Bay. The rain wasn't so welcomed though - Sheets of it falling. Good to see so many waders on the mud though.

As for the calming effect? yeah I can agree its tranquil what ever the weather.

I'm stuck writing up the dissertation for my Msc so didn't get to Strumble yesterday where they had an excellent seawatch. The consolation is that next Monday I'm part of a crew sailing from Padstow to Lagos (Portugal). What are the rules for ticking birds on pelagics. Is it as long as you are in British offshore waters they count? I've never seen a British Cory's and this is a definite possibilty.

I'm stuck writing up the dissertation for my Msc so didn't get to Strumble yesterday where they had an excellent seawatch. The consolation is that next Monday I'm part of a crew sailing from Padstow to Lagos (Portugal). What are the rules for ticking birds on pelagics. Is it as long as you are in British offshore waters they count? I've never seen a British Cory's and this is a definite possibilty.
Saw the blog re. Strumble yesterday John. Some great birds. Might try and get there myself over the next couple of weeks.

www.strumbleheadseawatching.blogspot.co.uk

Rich

Right... I'm ready for the sea-watch season with a few improvements to my seawatch "hide". I widened the window ledge to mean I can lean back in the comfy chair and not scrape my knees against the wall, I've made a more permanent brace to hold the left had window open in a force 10, fitted a rain guard to stop the squalls that come over the top of the window at bay and finally I'll finished off the turntable for My big Bertha Sea-watching bins, that so far have made the scope redundant - I can see more detail through them on the 20x setting than on the scope at 40x, the field of view is immense and the 100x Objectives mean you can more or less use them in the dark. ON top of that the depth of field and sense of 3-d is something that makes it hard for me to use a scope at all now! I've now got the 75x lens in the Nikon which is hopeless for sea-watching but excellent for fine detail on waders!

The only additional improvement I could come up with now is a single glazed plate glass central window and external windscreen wiper in case of squally conditions and too much north in the wind. Of course you should be cold, wet and thoroughly uncomfortable to sea-watch properly. What you can't see is the valve radio tuned to long wave for the Shipping forecast, the hot and cold running drinks the library and the duvet to hide in (it seems pointless to turn the radiators on with the window open.)

Attachments

• S0759306.jpg
    S0759306.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 134
  • S0769307.jpg
    S0769307.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 111

Have fun John!

I'm not sure what awaits me in Heaven, Jane, in the unlikely event that I should get there, but I'm sure it will include an approximation of your sea watching room. With the addition of a good old-school hi-fi, and Vinyls of Led Zep IV, Deep Purple "In Rock" and "Machine Head", and all Gary Numan's works. Mind you, I found my first Fea's a few weeks ago, and curiously I wasn't cold, or wet, and was just about to leave and go for a nice swim. (Sometimes the God of Birding smiles upon us, and says "Verily unto ye Believers, I say, today ye shall not suffer but shall reap Reward".

I'm contemplating heading down to Strumble Head tomorrow. I think the winds are light Easterly. Would it be worth the hour and 40 minute drive or would it be better to wait for different conditions?

Thanks,

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back