• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching at West Runton and Cley, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
Recently, I have attempted some seawatching during my stay at West Runton and I have a few mystery birds that I saw.

Cley - I was seawatching mid-afternoon on the beach at Cley a few weeks ago and didn't see anything at all of note (not even a Gannet) until at the last minute a large gull like bird was flying West on the horizon (so far out it disappeared when it flew down a bit). It then turned around and went further out to sea. Here are my field notes:
  • Flight not direct
  • Near Gannets (my first of the day)
  • Very distant
  • Flying above sea (quite high)
  • Large bird (large body with medium wingspan)
  • A flash of white (I am almost certain I saw a bit of white on the bird)
  • Rising flight before dipping down again (mobbing?)
My thoughts were Great Skua or Great Black-Backed Gull but I would lean towards Great Skua as the behaviour and the medium wingspan as well as the flash of white (although the white could of been a trick of the light) suit it but I would prefer some expert opinions on what you think this is most likely to be. I am guessing it is impossible to make a positive ID from these notes but it is worth a try.

West Runton - I was at the beach with my binoculars and I looked out for about 10 minutes and saw several Gannets, Common Scoter and a Fulmar as well as two mystery birds flying West. Here are my field notes for these birds (almost certainly the same species):
  • Light brown on top with white underneath
  • Stiff winged
  • Medium length wings
  • Quite close

I was thinking these birds could be juvenile Fulmars (there is a very small breeding colony nearby) but my bird books and online don't seen to show if juvenile Fulmars look brown or just like the adults. My only other guess would be Manx Shearwater.

West Runton - Will add another bird I saw when I have time

Thanks for any help,
Louis

Last edited:

As you say Louis, it’s very difficult to put a name to the species you noted, for the first, if it was giving you the impression of being all dark but a prominent white flash in the wing, a Great Skua would be likely. Stiff winged flight for the second certainly makes one think of Fulmar or shearwater, I imagine at that location Fulmar is more likely. Do you bird on your own, it’s always a good idea to seawatch with some experienced folk if you can.
Well, that’s my four penneth worth, hope it helps.

Thanks for the help Richard (it does help). I did bird on my own that day as I suddenly thought why don't I do some seawatching for a few hours. In the future, I will hopefully sea watch with someone more experienced or if that's not possible at least someone else who can give their observations on the bird. Is there a particular book or website you would recommend for tips on seawatching ID?

Thanks,
Louis P

There are many books but if you haven't yet obtained a copy of the Collins Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe may I suggest you do, asap.
The place for sea watching is at Sheringham, particularly now in autumn, if there is a strong N.Westerly blow that drives the birds closer in. Go under the arch and down the slope. The RNLI station is West, the Lifeguard lookout is East. You'll find the old shelters there (The Tanks). Settle yourself in and learn from the experienced seawatchers assembled. It can get very busy even though you and your optics will get soaked from the strong onshore wind.

Not sure where in Norfolk you are but if you're happy to meet others then maybe contact the N.E.N.B.C. for advice. ( North East Norfolk Bird Club ). August through to late September are usually the best months for interesting seabirds. Don't bother if its calm or winds from the South. They have a sea watching event planned for mid October.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I was thinking about getting a NENBC membership recently (only £10 a year) and will soon. I know where you mean at Sheringham. I thought people assembled at the shelters just West of the slope but have never been there on the right day. Will try The Tanks shelters if there are some good North-Westerlies soon. Have looked at the Collin's book before at Cley and other bird reserves but I purchased this (https://press.princeton.edu/titles/10715.html) book mostly due to the fact it had photos (which I prefer) rather than illustrations. No harm in getting the Collins one as well.

Thanks,
LouisP

Should my scope be fine?

Last edited:
That's fine, but the Collins is the bible. Loads of info with illustrations of species in all plumages and in typical postures......backed up with text. Andy's suggestion is essential if you're going to be putting in the hours at coastal locations.
All the best.

Thanks both of you. The sea birds book looks good but costs more than the Collins book.

Edit - I don't know why I have already joined NENBC as I already write my sightings in their book at West Runton beach cafe.

Thanks both of you. The sea birds book looks good but costs more than the Collins book.

Edit - I don't know why I have already joined NENBC as I already write my sightings in their book at West Runton beach cafe.

If your aim is any level of competence, investment in literature is essential and it's hardly a kings ransom.

Here you go, drive down to Cley and have a days birding in the bargain.

https://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/...ion-of-European-Seabirds.shtml&Terms=seabirds

Last edited:
Fair enough Andy. I am going to Cley this weekend anyway (well at least probably) so I will have a look. Just trying to budget a bit because all my hobbies seem so expensive! Your right though, its worth getting if it is very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back