• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking advice on taking care of and releasing injured chickadee (1 Viewer)

thefifty9sound

Hi all!

On a morning coffee run with my kids I noticed a what I believe to be a black capped chickadee struggling to climb a tree. On closer inspection, it’s right wing was all janked out and he was unable to fly.

We have a TON of neighbourhood cats, and knew this little fella wouldn’t survive the day - maybe not even the morning.

Sensing a teachable moment for my children, we carefully caught the bird and put him in a cage with some finch seed and water, with the intent of releasing him once his wing has healed.

I guess I was hoping for any advice on the best way to help him. He is calling for his flock and his flock is calling for him. I saw at least one other chickadee come to the edge of the garage while I was preparing his seed. I currently have his cage hanging under the porch roof so he can at least hear / see the flock, but is that a good idea? Should I just bring him inside instead?

I know it’s a “how long is a piece of string” type question, but how long should a wing take to heal, worst case scenario?

I have an alexandrine and have had plenty of budgies and cockatiels in the past, so am not new to birds, but I’ve never nursed and released one.

I tired to add some photos but the poor guy is too stressed out to stay still for a good one.

Any advice is appreciated!

EDIT: You think I would have seen the pinned injured bird thread before I posted this, but I missed it. My bad 🤦

Attachments

• A89B2983-EA16-4A79-B810-E072A1DAA23E.jpeg
    A89B2983-EA16-4A79-B810-E072A1DAA23E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 1CAE6C94-D491-47AF-ACB2-1C12344CDF11.jpeg
    1CAE6C94-D491-47AF-ACB2-1C12344CDF11.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 7BDD7EE8-AA8C-42DC-8DA5-474302AC134C.jpeg
    7BDD7EE8-AA8C-42DC-8DA5-474302AC134C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to Birdforum! Hopefully the pinned thread has helped and you will be able to take the bird to a vet.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Fingers crossed for the Chickadee and thanks for caring about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back